Scoring again... Pitchers W/L

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Here is a good one. Which pitcher gets the loss? :confused:
Let the discussion begin.

Scenario:
8-0 loss.
2 inning game
8 runs scored by opposing team with 3 of those earned.

Starting pitcher:
4 batters faced in the first inning.
1 outs recorded
1 hit
1 walk
0 strikeouts
6.00 WHIP
3 runs score with 2 of those earned.
2 defensive errors

Reliever #1:
9 batters faced in the first inning.
2 outs recorded
2 hits
1 walk
0 strikeouts
4.50 WHIP
4 runs score with 0 of those earned.
0 defensive errors

Reliever #2:
6 batters in the second inning
3 outs recorded
2 hits
0 walks
1 strikeout
2.00 WHIP
1 run scores on with it being earned.
1 defensive error

TIA for your help !

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
A brief wikipedia description...The losing pitcher is the pitcher who allows the go-ahead run to reach base for a lead that the winning team never relinquishes. A pitcher can be credited with a loss if he allows a runner to reach base, and is then replaced by a relief pitcher who subsequently allows that base runner to score. The pitcher receives the loss, even if this or any other runs are not earned.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Why only a 2 inning game? Even 1 hour drop dead, 8-0 you should be able to get more innings in. I would worry more about that (and that you got no runs) than who gets credit for the loss.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Why only a 2 inning game? Even 1 hour drop dead, 8-0 you should be able to get more innings in. I would worry more about that (and that you got no runs) than who gets credit for the loss.

65 minutes finish the inning. Game was 2.5 innings. Other team was home, so there was no need to complete the 3rd inning. It is common to see 2 or 3 inning games under these conditions.

Trust me I am aware that my DD's team was shut out, but the topic wasn't what to worry about. I can figure that one out on my own without any forum help. :cool: The question was who earned the L when your starter sees only a partial inning and the reliever is relieved after the first inning too. I can't do anything about the pitching rotation or who plays what positions on this team.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Starting pitcher. She had the first run scored against her, therefore she has the loss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl