Running Through 1st Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
PA, if a play is being made at another base they better be rounding first not running through it, so non of this applies.

Quincy, seems like I have suggested it before, but why don't you coach, it's obvious you have the bug.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Seems to me this only applies when the Look Back Rule is in effect. If the ball is live and not in the circle, a runner who has turned right after overrunning 1B can still advance to 2B if a play is made at another base - they are not committed to going back to 1B. They have protection to go directly back to 1B without the possibility to be put out, but I don't think this rule takes away their ability to advance when the ball is still in play.

Rule 8 is Baserunning, but what is section 7?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Rule 8 is "batter and runner"
Section 7 is "runner is out"
T is the "lookback rule"
3 is responsibilities of the runner after touching first

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ah. Sorry, I had remembered you didnt want your dd pitching in reg practice. I thought you were just watching, it adds up now. If you are ac even better reason to be coach...I liked being an ac, like going to the dentist. You are better for it in the long run, but it always seems painful every time you are there. Especially if you are under a coach who doesnt know or do much.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
PA, if a play is being made at another base they better be rounding first not running through it, so non of this applies.

So tell me this:
Runners at 2 and 3. Batter bunts. Runners attempt to advance on contact, and the ball is thrown home. The batter-runner runs THROUGH 1B and TURNS right because the first base coach did not properly instruct the batter to round the base and go to 2B. According to the rule you quoted, the batter runner is NOT allowed to run to 2B because they overran 1B and TURNED right? On what planet have you ever seen that call made?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
So tell me this:
Runners at 2 and 3. Batter bunts. Runners attempt to advance on contact, and the ball is thrown home. The batter-runner runs THROUGH 1B and TURNS right because the first base coach did not properly instruct the batter to round the base and go to 2B. According to the rule you quoted, the batter runner is NOT allowed to run to 2B because they overran 1B and TURNED right? On what planet have you ever seen that call made?

Yes, you are right. If the ball is live, runners can run. They can run 3/4 of way to second, back to first, turn right in a circle 4 times and run back to second. Guess I thought that was obvious point to most, but that always needs a captain.

The point I am making beyond the obvious in simple words is: there is a disadvantage to turning right after running through, there is an advantage to turning left after running through.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yes, you are right. If the ball is live, runners can run. They can run 3/4 of way to second, back to first, turn right in a circle 4 times and run back to second. Guess I thought that was obvious point to most, but that always needs a captain.

The point I am making beyond the obvious in simple words is: there is a disadvantage to turning right after running through, there is an advantage to turning left after running through.

There is a disadvantage to turning left as well. There were several instances in different tournaments when my runners were tagged after turning left and called out. They would run through first, turn left and walk back along the line to first. They were tagged and called out. I was told by the umps on all three occasions (different umps mind you) that if they turn left, they are turning into the field of play and are fair game. Since then, I have changed it to run through, come to a complete stop within three steps while checking for an overthrow then turn right and walk back in foul territory. That way the BR is only a step at most further away from 2.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yo coach. As Amy said that is terrible umpiring, and I don't change the plan because the umpires are uneducated. First after argueing, I would show the rule book, second (and I have done this) is get the tournament director, the umpire, and the rule book and demand he is thrown out if he refuses to follow the rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl