Rule Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
Bases loaded, girl hits ball over the fence for a HR (Grandslam). Runner on 1st catches up but doesn't pass the runner who started on 2nd base. While running the bases the R1 pats R2 on the back in a celebration. Both continue to round bases never passing each other.

Is that legal? I know passing the runner wouldnt be legal.

The opposing coach stormed out of the dugout yelling at the ump that she should be out. The ump ignored him and allowed the runs to count. It should be noted that the game was out of reach, final was 16-3 so not sure if the ump ignored him because the game was over or if what the girls did was not illegal.

Anyone?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Opposing coach had sour grapes from the beat down. Congrats!

There is a rule about helping runner with a pat on the back,
this is a judgement call. Umpires decision is final. It was not going to
impact the outcome in any way, so-be-it

Oct 28, 2009
The ASA rules state that a runner is out "When any offensive team member, other than another runner, assists the runner while the ball is live." I don't have the high school rules available, but they are substantively the same.

So, if the rules allow R1 to assist R2, touching is within the rules. A pat on the back does not result in an out, since you noted that the trail runner did not pass the lead runner.

I agree with Coach JV -- sour grapes. The coach should hope that Rick Reilly of ESPN does not hear about the whining:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id=4263659
"Some things are so small, so minuscule, so atomically insignificant, they can be seen only from three feet away using the Hubble telescope. The heart of Jean M______ is one of these things."

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
There are rules about a coach assisting a runner. A congratulatory slap on the back or high five during a dead ball should NOT be considered as "assisting the runner".

At any time, it is perfectly legal for another runner to assist a runner. Note that I said "assist", not "pass". These are two different things covered by two different rules.

The opposing coach had it wrong on both counts. A slap on the back isn't an assist in this situation and, even if it was, an assist isn't illegal from another runner. These are two very often misinterpreted or confused rules. Not only did he have the ruling wrong, but to question it by "storming out of the dugout screaming at the umpire" puts him on thin ice. If I'm the umpire, I'm probably not going to ignore that. He's going to get a chance to calm down, then I'm going to give him a chance to ask a question if he has one. Then I'm going to explain the rule and my ruling. What he does next could have a profound effect on whether or not he continues as a participant in this game!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs