Run earned or out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JaC

Apr 29, 2023
Help me settle a debate please. And if you have a source, even better!

2 outs. Bases loaded.
Batter hits one that passes SS and is picked up by LF.
LF throws the ball to 3rd. Tags runner from 2nd and makes the out.
Meanwhile, runner from 3rd crosses the plate.
Ump calls it out.
Run is not scored.

Should the run have counted?
It was a close game and people are still debating. The thing that throws it off was the fact that the ball headed to the outfield and took a few more seconds than it would have if the scenario had played out on the infield.

Any guidance to sources/rules is much appreciated!

Apr 12, 2015
Should the run have counted?
Nope, no run. Where the ball is hit or how long it takes to get the out doesn't matter in this scenario.

Consider this, would the run count if the left fielder picked up the ball, gunned it home, and got out the runner advancing home from third?

JaC

Apr 29, 2023
Nope, no run. Where the ball is hit or how long it takes to get the out doesn't matter in this scenario.

Consider this, would the run count if the left fielder picked up the ball, gunned it home, and got out the runner advancing home from third?
I totally agree with you. We had a few parents who said since the ball went into LF, that it changes things. Someone quoted a rule, but was unable to produce it. Figured I'd ask in case I'm missing something...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I totally agree with you. We had a few parents who said since the ball went into LF, that it changes things. Someone quoted a rule, but was unable to produce it. Figured I'd ask in case I'm missing something...
Wow I assumed the issue was tagging the runner. Which BTW doesn’t change a thing. No run can score on a force out for out 3. Regardless of how long it took or how far the ball was hit.

Reactions: JaC
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Wow I assumed the issue was tagging the runner. Which BTW doesn’t change a thing. No run can score on a force out for out 3. Regardless of how long it took or how far the ball was hit.

I, too, thought the wrong argument would be "She was tagged, so it wasn't a force out." That's usually how these go.

Reactions: JaC
Jul 22, 2015
Best way to look at any of these scenarios is that EVERY runner has to reach the base they were forced to safely or the run doesn't count. There have been "walk-off" scenarios derailed because one or more runners celebrated and didn't reach the next base safely.

May 29, 2015
Sounds as if everybody is assuming the runnner was tagged BEFORE reaching third base. Assuming that is the case, the run does not score.

A FORCE OUT simply means the runner is forced to advance by a succeeding runner. How the out is obtained does not matter.

Back to my original point though … If the runner safely reached third base and then was tagged out (off the bag, trying to advance, whatever) … now we have a case where the run may have scored.

Jun 20, 2015
what happens if SS stopped the ball and tagged runner from 2b headed to 3b? 3rd out. no run scored.

Or sharp liner to RF and batter gets thrown out at 1b (9-3 PO)? 3 outs, no run.

Apr 1, 2017
This reminds me of all the 'Gamechanger Admin' posts with people arguing if the batter should be credited with a hit or not...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802