Reporting Defensive Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2010
[snip]
What is the penalty for not reporting a defensive sub. Let's say the coach was trying to pull a fast one by putting in a better defensive player but not pulling the player out of the batting lineup. I could see this happening and not being caught to often.

Nothing in most codes. The offense and defense should be alert to unreported substitutes.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What is the penalty for this scenario? I believe it is nothing more than a verbal warning for the first offense.

Lets say a team makes a defensive change. This defensive change is a player that is listed on the lineup card as a sub. The sub goes into the game on defense, somewhere in the outfield were it is not very noticeable. The coach does not tell anyone about the defensive change. When the same team comes up to bat, the original player on the lineup card is still batting.

What is the penalty for not reporting a defensive sub. Let's say the coach was trying to pull a fast one by putting in a better defensive player but not pulling the player out of the batting lineup. I could see this happening and not being caught to often.

It varies a little bit by sanction - and there is also a difference between an illegal substitution (i.e. one that is not possible) and an unreported sub (a sub that would be legal if reported).

In MOST CODES
  • unreported subs: Substitute(s) are properly recorded, warning issued to coach for first offence. Second offence coach is ejected
  • Illegal player/illegal sub: Immediate ejection of the player and coach plus some other things depending on whether the player was involved in a play.

Oct 24, 2010
It varies a little bit by sanction - and there is also a difference between an illegal substitution (i.e. one that is not possible) and an unreported sub (a sub that would be legal if reported).

In MOST CODES
  • unreported subs: Substitute(s) are properly recorded, warning issued to coach for first offence. Second offence coach is ejected
  • Illegal player/illegal sub: Immediate ejection of the player and coach plus some other things depending on whether the player was involved in a play.

The two bullet points seem to be specific to USSSA. This varies widely with sanction. Know what code you're working on game day.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The two bullet points seem to be specific to USSSA. This varies widely with sanction. Know what code you're working on game day.
The wording is different in the sanctions, but the effects are mostly the same. But yes, there are variances in each sanction and code. For no good reason - there just are.

Fortunately it doesn't happen often.

Aug 25, 2019

In MOST CODES
Marriard, if you as an umpire notice that there is an illegal sub but the other team doesn't say anything, do you bring it up?.....I know with a improper batter, you don't say anything if the other team says nothing.

Also, I worked a jv game the other day, one team was using the DP/Flex, but they didn't know how to use it properly, I tried to explain it before game, but they just ran the flex into the game to bat for DP (out of game), then put DP (re-entry) up next at bat without notifying me or other team. The other team didn't seem to notice, should I have said something or let it go?

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Marriard, if you as an umpire notice that there is an illegal sub but the other team doesn't say anything, do you bring it up?.....I know with a improper batter, you don't say anything if the other team says nothing.

If it is reported, I am writing it in my book, so when you can't do something, I will say so. So yes, if I recognize the coach trying to illegally sub I will tell them they can't do what they are trying to do.

Also, I worked a jv game the other day, one team was using the DP/Flex, but they didn't know how to use it properly, I tried to explain it before game, but they just ran the flex into the game to bat for DP (out of game), then put DP (re-entry) up next at bat without notifying me or other team. The other team didn't seem to notice, should I have said something or let it go?

In this case this I am not saying something since nothing was reported and this is basically an improper batter.
And honestly because I probably won't notice this switch happening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles