Reporting Defensive Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2021
We’re playing in our first tournament this weekend. We’re not there to win a championship…the girls just wanted to play more games. As such, we’ll be batting our entire roster every game.

My question is this: Do I have to report any defensive position changes every half inning as I balance play time? Our rec league specifies free defensive substitution where tournaments don’t explicitly call it out. I just want to make sure I handle it correctly!

Sanction: USSSA - C Class

Thanks!!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We’re playing in our first tournament this weekend. We’re not there to win a championship…the girls just wanted to play more games. As such, we’ll be batting our entire roster every game.

My question is this: Do I have to report any defensive position changes every half inning as I balance play time? Our rec league specifies free defensive substitution where tournaments don’t explicitly call it out. I just want to make sure I handle it correctly!

Sanction: USSSA - C Class

Just ask the umpire at the plate meeting, but you can be 99% certain it will just be pitcher/catcher that needs reporting. If you had subs you will need to report those to, but since you are batting the roster, you wont have that issue.

Apr 1, 2017
We've been playing a few USSSA tournies every year for 6 years now. All C or B level, and we have always batted everyone. After the initial lineup exchange during the plate meeting, I have never reported a defensive switch. That includes P and C. Could be 100% my fault for doing it wrong all this time, but it's never come up with an ump or other coach either.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
When we look at the rules for diff tournaments it usually says if it matters or not. Batting all shouldn't matter. It only makes me angry as a score keeper since I like to keep the other team's defense correct - I feel like I'm in the minority that wants names/#s and the fielders all in the correct place for the other team. But I would never require it as a score keeper - I only get reported if the lineup changes.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I echo about consulting the specific tourney rules. As a matter of rule book correctness, a player has entered the game when they take the normal position of the player in question, even if unreported. As an umpire, I appreciate being told so I can keep easier track of the subs on the lineup card. But the changer will be noted regardless. Also, I can make sure the scorer gets the correct changes by waving to the press box to indicate the change.

Not an issue with batting the roster, but if a HC fails to report a change on multiple subs involving the P, the new P WILL BE PUT in the lineup in the spot of the previous P, even if the HC comes back the next half inning saying he intended a double switch.

Jun 1, 2015
I only typically care about 3 defensive changes: Pitcher, Catcher (for courtesy runner purposes), and in the event a team uses the DP/Flex - if the DP plays defense for the Flex (since the Flex has then left the game). I usually make sure the recorded P/C are in their spots from the previous inning anyway, and if a team has the DP/Flex, that the Flex is in the field at the start of that team's half-inning on defense.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
It is USSSA B and C level. Probably no one cares, or pays attention. They just want that ring on Sunday.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
What is the penalty for this scenario? I believe it is nothing more than a verbal warning for the first offense.

Lets say a team makes a defensive change. This defensive change is a player that is listed on the lineup card as a sub. The sub goes into the game on defense, somewhere in the outfield were it is not very noticeable. The coach does not tell anyone about the defensive change. When the same team comes up to bat, the original player on the lineup card is still batting.

What is the penalty for not reporting a defensive sub. Let's say the coach was trying to pull a fast one by putting in a better defensive player but not pulling the player out of the batting lineup. I could see this happening and not being caught to often.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00