realistic expectation for speed improvement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2014
My 15 year old daughter started late to pitching. She has never pitched as a primary position but is now interested in pursuing it more seriously. She is a lefty. She has pitched occasionally for her travel team but only a couple innings at a time.

One area she needs significant improvement on is her velocity - right now she is about 49mph. She is working with a pitching coach once a week and practicing at least 2-3 other days during the week.

My main question is what a realistic expectation should be with regard to how much velocity she might gain as she continues to work on this, and how long will it take to see that improvement.

Any feedback or experience shared would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
The speed increase will not likely occur because of repetition and hours or strength training. It will likely happen because of improved mechanics in the pitching motion. Your pitching coach may or may not be able to provide that. You should post several clips for evaluation or make a careful comparison between your daughters mechanics and those of the Model Pitchers on this site.

Jun 17, 2014
Thanks I will try to get some videos to post. What levels of speed improvements have you seen with improved mechanics?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have no expectations or have ever clocked.DD.

Since I catch her all the time it is easy to miss her improvements, other parents have noticed in games.

I would not worry about it too much unless she wants to pitch in college, I think it is the first thing they look at.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Thanks I will try to get some videos to post. What levels of speed improvements have you seen with improved mechanics?

It really would depend on what she is doing mechanically. If she is reasonably sound 2 - 3 mph will be great progress. If there are big mechanical issues the changes will be harder but you may see 5mph or more. There is no real way to tell.

Dec 27, 2014
It really would depend on what she is doing mechanically. If she is reasonably sound 2 - 3 mph will be great progress. If there are big mechanical issues the changes will be harder but you may see 5mph or more. There is no real way to tell.
This is the way I look at it for dd. We are working at releasing earlier, her PC is working on a better load and drive. How much speed will she pick up, assuming all things are equal, releasing at her back hip catching the whip better as compared to beyond? No idea, but she is leaking speed there. Last year, we cut her leap off the rubber down and she picked up speed because she was more balanced, had more control over her front side. At 10 she has a few not perfect mechanics and a few that allow her to do well. We do track velocity and spin rates a few times a month. She is two mph away from her speed goal she set at the end of fall ball. Two months left to hit it.

Jun 17, 2014
thanks for the feedback. She is finally working consistently with a pitching coach and is currently focusing on 'fundamentals' so I assume that though the changes will be harder there is greater room for improvement, which is good! She seems more focused on this now too which is important. We are hoping she can achieve the improvements she needs to so that she can perform at the level needed to be an impact pitcher for her team.

Jun 12, 2015
Check out the I/R pinned thread and try to make sure your PC is teaching her the right things, too.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Younger pitchers see an increase in their velocity as they grow and mature. Is your DD still growing? After they have finished growing increases in speed are found in mechanics and strength and conditioning. Post of video of her mechanics for the gurus to analyze. Then work on strengthening her legs - increases in velocity can be found by using her legs if she has good IR mechanics with BI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32