Question about types of release...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Jiminas

By the time my students are 13 they wont be throwing a fastball. Too easy to hit. So I guess my point would be are we talking about something that becomes a no teach down the road. :eek:

Dana.

May 12, 2008
I think the message should be-no forced follow through. Ball is gone-let the arm decelerate naturally whatever the pitch.

Attachments

• cat-osterman-2.jpg
    cat-osterman-2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 46

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I think the message should be-no forced follow through. Ball is gone-let the arm decelerate naturally whatever the pitch.

I'm going to add something to this; Decelerate naturally, I have no problem with. However, I will add 'but do not let the hand travel outside the straight line from the release point to the target'.

Do that and you might be pleasantly surprised how much better the accuracy becomes.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Ken

I wish I knew where that "touch the shoulder" thing came from. Not only does it hurt the pitch, it can also hurt the pitcher's elbow by over-stretching the tendons in the elbow. It's bad for you on a couple of levels.

I want a clarification on what you are talking about only because I could interpret your statement in a couple of ways. There are instructors who teach that the arm of the ball hand should snap up and touch the shoulder of the ball hand.

Then there are instructors who teach that the ball hand should come up and touch the shoulder of the glove hand after release. I am thinking you were meaning the first and not the second? If so I would agree with your statement.

Also, I think that elbow snapping thing started back in the Michelle Smith - Lisa Fernandez generation of pitchers and instructors. Dont hold me to that but that is as I recall.

I have noticed that Cat used to do this when she pitched but the last time I watched her pitch it was a more natural motion. Could be she got tired of wearing a neoprene sleeve on her elbow after all these years?

Dana.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I want a clarification on what you are talking about only because I could interpret your statement in a couple of ways. There are instructors who teach that the arm of the ball hand should snap up and touch the shoulder of the ball hand.

Then there are instructors who teach that the ball hand should come up and touch the shoulder of the glove hand after release. I am thinking you were meaning the first and not the second? If so I would agree with your statement.

Also, I think that elbow snapping thing started back in the Michelle Smith - Lisa Fernandez generation of pitchers and instructors. Dont hold me to that but that is as I recall.

I have noticed that Cat used to do this when she pitched but the last time I watched her pitch it was a more natural motion. Could be she got tired of wearing a neoprene sleeve on her elbow after all these years?

Dana.

Hey Dana. I first saw pitchers in my area going to the throwing shoulder at around the 2000 season. Not sure who was teaching that around here but the word was they wanted their students to do that so they would get every last iota of umph for speed. I hope they got that because what I saw was some pitchers with accuracy all over the place including into the dirt 5 ft in front of home plate.

Also heard of some over-exteneded elbows and injuries.

What I am curious to find out is who cameup with the 'Internal rotation', 'external rotation' stuff. Good grief, we have called it bringing the fingers/hand to the inside / outside of the ball, over the top or under the bottom of the ball. Guess that isnt as impressive as the other crap.

Oh well.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
By the time my students are 13 they wont be throwing a fastball. Too easy to hit. So I guess my point would be are we talking about something that becomes a no teach down the road. :eek:

Dana.

YUP! But not for 8-12U! These young pitchers are still learning fastball and location, change-up and maybe a breaking ball! I'm on the east coast and our 16U team has 2 pitchers that throw some fastballs, as their breaking balls are not consistant, but not too often. But, yes, I agree, most of our older pitchers rarely throw fastballs.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
13YOA? Most daddies of 13YOA girls think their DDs have curves, drops, riseballs, screws... you name it. They are lucky if they can throw one good breaking pitch.

May 7, 2009
Kens Drill question...

I want to make sure im understanding that. Stand facing a wall....place the palm of your hand....with or without a ball flat against the wall. I assume you are at the 12 oclock position, meaning fairly close to the wall. Then just follow your arm circle keeping your palm against the wall, elbow bent leading the way, untill you feel the tension...or need to rotate the hand or whip it through.

Do I have that correct?

It seems like this would keep your hip from closing to much before the arm comes through also....

Thanks

Jul 3, 2009
Kens Drill question...

I want to make sure im understanding that. Stand facing a wall....place the palm of your hand....with or without a ball flat against the wall. I assume you are at the 12 oclock position, meaning fairly close to the wall. Then just follow your arm circle keeping your palm against the wall, elbow bent leading the way, untill you feel the tension...or need to rotate the hand or whip it through.

Do I have that correct?

It seems like this would keep your hip from closing to much before the arm comes through also....

Thanks

I'm having a tough time understanding this one as well. I'm sure it's an excellent drill, I just can't figure out how it's supposed to be done:confused:
Pictures or a video clip would be sweet...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32