question about tryouts and timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2014
My daughter has been playing TB for 2 years with one team. She is interested in trying out for other teams this year, and she may make a change if she finds a team she likes. My question is about the timing for the tryouts - say team 1 has tryouts first week of August and team 2 has tryouts in the 4th week of August.

If Team 1 likes her and offers her a spot, will they hold it until after the team 2 tryouts...do the offers have a 'time period' for which they're valid which would force her to make a decision without knowing all options?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
There are no rules. Both team and player have to hedge their bets. One team might say you must decide in one week. Another might say take your time, let's talk first of September. Another might say they expect the offer will be good until the end of August, but no guarantees. If you're in an area where most teams do their tryouts in August, then you're probably going to fine going to both tryouts and putting the first on hold. Many if not most teams that hold tryouts aren't set until after August. But you have to make an educated guess. The more attractive your daughter is as a player, the longer teams are willing to wait. The better the team, the more they can push for a quick decision. It's a game.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Good luck. Changing teams can be stressful. New teams are like a box of chocolates. But overall, my daughter has really grown from the times she's switched teams. Broadens the learning experience.

Jun 17, 2014
Thanks. We realize that the grass is not always greener too - I am apprehensive but the current team has some long standing issues that we do not see changing. DD is talented, committed, and ready to learn new things and this is also a concern with the current team - they are not progressing to new levels of play. Currently 14UB so it is really time to step things up. She currently aspires to play in college so we want to go to a competitive A team. I am very hopeful that she'll find a good fit for her and her goals, and that she'll find a team that she likes that wants her.

Feb 3, 2011
If you're looking to go to a competitive team, unless DD is known to be 1 of the best in your area - i.e. would be a top-3 player on virtually every team you know of - few coaches will be willing to wait 3 weeks for a decision if they're forming a team or trying to fill a roster.

If they've already got 10-11 players, then they can afford to wait, but if they're short, then they may not be as 'competitive' as they told you they were.

Have you contacted team 2 about giving DD a private tryout in advance of the scheduled date?

It is handled in different ways by just about every team.

I do know that typically, teams that are hurting for players or realize that later tryouts by more "desirable" teams will cost them players who have already tried out for their team tend to put pressure on girls to commit right away. It makes sense, as they want to get quality players signed before the girls have the opportunity to check out another team they have lost players to before. Although I don't personally do this, I do not have a problem with it as these teams are just trying to protect themselves and get the best talent.

I usually have my tryouts a bit later (by a week or two) than most of the other tryouts in our area. As such, we don't normally have to deal with girls wanting us to wait for their decision .... they have usually completed all other tryouts and give us an answer right away. However, it does put us in the position of having girls who have an offer (or multiple offers) on the table holding out to see if we will offer them a spot. I get a lot of calls and emails from parents saying they want to try out for our team but that other teams are putting pressure on them to commit. Seasoned TB players know to set expectations with teams as the offers are made, saying something to the effect of, "My last tryout is a couple of weeks off. I'll give you my answer on August 20." or something similar. It makes it harder on the offering team to ask for an immediate answer, although it still happens from time to time. I tell these people that is what they should say and do, and that the only thing I am certain of is that if they do commit to another team, I absolutely will not make them an offer under any circumstances.

The bottom line here is that if a team is putting a ton of pressure on you to commit right away, that means they want your DD and are afraid they will lose her to whomever she's trying out for later. That puts you in the driver's seat, regardless of what they tell you. Sometimes, you need to just put your cards on the table and say you're not going to make the decision until all avenues are explored, and if they want to rescind their offer because of it, then you'll just have to live with that. Most of the time, they won't, though.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Have a similar situation this weekend. I've talked to the coach and told him that I wouldn't make a decision until the 2nd tryout. I left it up to him and he said he was fine with it. Just communicate up front.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck