Question about a tie in pool play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
No, I wouldn't expect that at all. But when a tournament is being decided by something like run differential, it seems to me that teams need to get the same chance to score runs as their opponents. That's all. But like I said, this may well be just one of those things. I guess it is.

Probably a really good chance that several teams in the tournament didn't get a full at bat (or any at bat at all) in the last inning of their games. Just a flaw in that type of tie breaker

Feb 19, 2012
West US
i've seen this several times in the past few years. Round robin where a group of 5 teams only play three games, it often comes down to run differential. OOnly once has a parent understood exactly what you point out.

Feb 3, 2011
No, I wouldn't expect that at all. But when a tournament is being decided by something like run differential, it seems to me that teams need to get the same chance to score runs as their opponents. That's all. But like I said, this may well be just one of those things. I guess it is.

The team that wins the final game of a tournament always wins by at least 1. On Sunday, the team that wins it all has to win every game they play, regardless of seed.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Thanks for taking the time to try and help me understand, but honestly? I don't really get what point you are trying to make. Yes, it was good that we won. And possibly, being the home team with last ups was the impetus that propelled us to victory. But that is really beside the point, and not what I was asking about. But thanks for trying (I think).

I pointed it out this way because you are missing the main point and how baseball/softball works. You are home team, game is tied. You scored one run in the bottom of the last inning...game is over. Its been played like that forever. Now you want to just keep playing because of a tie breaker rule that doesn't come into play most of the time. This time it did...but the same advantage you get by being home team, oh well, keeps you from playing an entire bottom of an inning when it ISNT needed. But you took home team for that advantage.

My point was...if you are so concerned about a tie breaker rule that probably won't come into play, take away. Then don't complain about the coach or any losses you get by a team beating you in the bottom of the last inning.

So, quick answer to your question. Yes, it is what it is...you deal with it. Nothing was unfair.

You never answered my question...did the team you played the next game beat you?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
Most travel coaches, in pool games, when given the choice ... choose being the visiting team.

The rules are fair. The OP is just challenging it because these fair rules worked against him, this time so what.

You do not determine the end of a game, because of how it affects the "pool". You decide the end of the game, by the rules of that game.

It is just a travel tourney anyways. #1, or #2 seed do not matter much. You have to beat everyone to win.

Nov 29, 2009
In this particular tournament, the run differential is the difference between the scores. If we won the game 10-5, we have a run differential of +5. I agree that it's not a good tie breaker, but I don't get to make the tournament rules. My question is about the fairness of ending the game once the home team has scored a run in a tie game.

The Tournament Directors have to put tie breakers in place for their event because of time limits on the games to keep the tournament running as close to on time as possible. The rules are usually published with the tournament packet the coach receives. Every team plays under the same set of rules. If the games were not timed there would be no need for tie breakers. All the games would be decided by head to head play. There is nothing unfair about it when all the teams are playing under the same rules.

Had a tie breaker in our games over the weekend. Beat a team 6-5 and tied 1 - 1 in pool. The team we tied beat the other team 4 - 2. They allowed 2 runs and we allowed 5. We were #2 seed based on runs allowed even though we outscored the other team.

May favorite format for pool play is the 4 team pools. Winners of the 1st game play each other. Losers of the 1st game play each other. Gives you a definite seeding order based on play with no need for tie breakers.

Mar 26, 2013
May favorite format for pool play is the 4 team pools. Winners of the 1st game play each other. Losers of the 1st game play each other. Gives you a definite seeding order based on play with no need for tie breakers.
The drawback, from a scheduling standpoint, is all pool games have to be played out to a winner/loser. It also places an inordinate amount of importance on the first pool game because it determines whether you're a #1/#2 seed or a #3/#4 seed.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Run differential is a terrible tie breaker. Not only for the reason states in the op. But the pool often comes down to who had less mercy on the worst team in the pool. If you pitch your worst pitcher and move your back up players into the lineup and win by 7. And another team keeps riding their horse and keeps all the regular starters in and wins by 15. They get rewarded.

And yes the rules of the game are the rules. But in pool play the "game" is stretched out to be all the games equal one game when run-diff is looked at as the main tie breaker.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In the tournaments we play, here is a typical pool play seeding scenario:
1) Overall record - no brainer
2) Head-to Head - if one team beat they other they deserve the higher seed
3) Runs Allowed - rewards teams who play good defense, does not reward running up the score
4) Run Differential - rarely gets to this level, but it does happen on occasion
5) Coin toss - last resort

Feb 21, 2012
In the tournaments we play, here is a typical pool play seeding scenario:
1) Overall record - no brainer
2) Head-to Head - if one team beat they other they deserve the higher seed
3) Runs Allowed - rewards teams who play good defense, does not reward running up the score
4) Run Differential - rarely gets to this level, but it does happen on occasion
5) Coin toss - last resort

I like this format the best.

I guess if we were playing in the format with differential, then I would advise to pick visitors if you win the coin flip. Then, you better be able to hit the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44