push back?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

my DD is 12u and is hitting 54-55 consistently now after we have been working on the brush interference and trying to get that correct. but I haven't had her do any push back due to one of the other posts where the DD had a broken back which my DD displayed similar symptoms. although she has increased her speed a cpl mph with the brush interference we are seeing significant brusing on her pitching side of her hip. we know we need to tweek that a little bit but as for the push back technique I believe she would gain another 3-5 mph or so if she did it and she wants to reach that 60mph mark so bad! but I wont let her do it for now she's 12u still growning and IMO shes pitching hard enough for now so we are consentrating on core workouts. am I wrong or what advice to you have?I should mention that her back doesn't bother her what so ever not pushing back but when she does do it after about 50 throws or so it starts to hurt.?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
I'm no doctor but a 12YO's back should not be hurting after 50 throws. If if was my DD, I would find the root of the problem before anymore pitching.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
24b116a.gif

Feb 7, 2013
On the backswing, the ball and glove are inches from her pivot foot and her back is parallel to the floor. Since she is only 12 and already has some back discomfort when doing push back drills, my suggestion would be to find a more upright backswing so she doesn't have back injuries later in life. She will throw 10s of thousands of pitches by the time she completes high school and using this technique is just asking for trouble. Just my 2cents.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Is she bending a lot at the waist? I don't think landing and stepping back (is that what you mean by push back) would cause anymore strain than just landing. Unless the foot is landing on the heel or the knee is locked out, but that would cause lower leg issues more.

And I will say this again: Brush is for control not mph and it is not required. It is a style choice, made a long time ago that many PCs and coaches no longer ascribe to.
None of this stuff should hurt one's back or bruise a 12 year old. And mph is irrelevant at that age.

This is a statement that has been discredited so many times by so many people via posts of what actual elite pitchers do in the circle. This statement by OLIF is yet further proof of the one and only statement with regard to pitching she ever made that was correct when she said - "I know nothing about pitching..." In this context I agree with her 100%.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Doesn't this spell serious fatigue, especially in the lower back, over several innings?

This is a very popular pitching style that I'm seeing in 10U in NJ / PA. Was Talking to a parent of from another team at a tourney in February who told me his DD couldn't wait to learn the "deep bow" pitching mechanics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar