Post your best resources for hitting instruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
straightleg,
I also give you and your DD a Big thumbs up for your videos. Thanks for putting them out there for others to learn. There good to get a new/young hitter started.

Thanks Rdbass.
Grills hot and always cold beer in the fridge;)

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Howard Carrier, because he knows all the rest. He has over 100 plus kids playing at the next level and was an Olympic hitting coach in China. So he produces results. Works with kids that are LD. Teaches baseball and softball. Has worked with Bustos and other elite hitters one on one. He teases me that I have been to more hitting clinics and college camps than anyone he knows. Plus I have a pretty good collection of DVD's and books on the sport. Even thou I don't teach pitching I have been to numerous Hillhouse camps to learn. I think you need to keep an open mind. What you might have learned 6 years ago might not work now, plus every kid is different. Few posters would know how to teach a kid that is LD. Mine is and that is why she enjoys working with Bustos ( she has the same issues). Dave is also very good and was a very good professional player, His student is Jen Yee who along with Bustos is listed as one of the best. Dave was the first person my dd worked with at 11.

Last edited:
May 16, 2011
Punxsutawney, PA
Mike Candrea has an outstanding outfielders drill DVD, I didn't care for his hitting dvd but it is good for some drills. Most of his stuff can also be found on youtube in clips.

If you don't like ChrisO'Leary.com, at least go to the Rotational Hitting 101 page about half way down and check out the Albert Pujols flip book. It is pretty good stuff.

IMO Cindy Bristow's instruction is the best I have found so far.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I have many DVD's . John Tschida has a good set on hitting. John was a very good player himself and he is a very good coach. Google him and you will see his resume. I guess I'm picky in terms of who I take advice from. Anyone can be an internet hitting coach, but have they produced results at the highest level.

rdbass You notice his boat ! He likes to rub it in when he posts his hitting set up!

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have many DVD's . John Tschida has a good set on hitting. John was a very good player himself and he is a very good coach. Google him and you will see his resume. I guess I'm picky in terms of who I take advice from. Anyone can be an internet hitting coach, but have they produced results at the highest level.

rdbass You notice his boat ! He likes to rub it in when he posts his hitting set up!

Yes, I noticed the boat. Reminds me of my boat on dry ground. Probably docked like SL untill the DD's are done with softball. Then we'll probably be 'discussing' on discuss fishing.com on how to cast the 'right' way.

May 16, 2011
Punxsutawney, PA
If Tschida is the guy I'm thinking of I saw him in Pittsburgh at the clinics. A one hour lesson on hitting turned into a 2 hour lecture on the physiology of hitting. In a nutshell, every single aspect of your body is at 90 degrees (ankles, hips, elbows, shoulders, knees, bat, etc). Smart guy, but not a teacher.

*my fault I'm thinking of Steve Englishbey. I did see Tschida in 2009: Developing your catcher, and Advanced hitting - Line Drives.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2011
NC
Howard Carrier, and others who post here, I dont post often but I read here quite a bit, as well as some other sites, one thing I notice here is sometimes people try to over complicate things in the process, they dont realize at times they are saying the exact same thing as Howard but they try to prove a point by disagreeing with him and putting their own spin on it, when in reality they are confirming most of what he has taught me. You can talk physics and kinesiology all you want but if you cannot explain it to a 12 year old what are you really proving and do you really understand it. I stand by results, HC has had great results, I have had great results with about 3 dozen of my own players now in college or already through, and many more to come hopefully, and I am sure that those who follow HC have had similiar results. And no I dont spell well, I will leave to my DD who through HC and Bustos' knowledge and her hard work paid for half her college education, enough said.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1