popping up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One thing I see is her bat is pretty flat during the most of the contacts. Sometimes it's because of the height of the pitch, but even on lower pitches she tends to drop her hands and cut straight across. Work on keeping the hands above the ball and taking the barrel to it as a starting point.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
In addition to Kens advise, Im seeing a touch of drag in her barrel due to not firing the hips ahead of the torso. This will cause a dip in the shoulder and a dropping or flat barrel.
drill to fix.... focus on the proper sequence of the hips leading the torso (aka "Elvis move" by Straightleg) Also, the coach or parent can stand behind the batter and hold the barrel of the bat in the loaded back position as shes taking reps. This will aid her in feeling the hips leading.

Pop ups typically occurs after a downward swing and the bat cuts under the ball. So, keep the front elbow higher than the hands, and the hands above the barrel... as this will greatly help in producing more line drives.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... due to not firing the hips ahead of the torso. This will cause a dip in the shoulder and a dropping or flat barrel.
.... focus on the proper sequence of the hips leading the torso (aka "Elvis move" by Straightleg)

I notice that the title of the video is 'practicing extensions.' IMO, it's difficult to extend properly when the hips don't fire ahead of the torso, as CJ is talking about. In fact, I don't think the hips really fire that much at all. They sorta stop and let the torso go past, which can lead to early rolling of the wrists and/or poor extension.

Pop ups typically occurs after a downward swing and the bat cuts under the ball.

I notice that most of these pitches are above the waist (ie, high). Against these pitches, she swings level because of height, and it disguises what I suspect is a tendency to swing down. Here is one at waist level (maybe the lowest pitch in the sequence), and notice the angle of the bat - downward. I suspect that if the ball were even lower, like thigh level, we'd see more evidence of a downward swing.

Down.png

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_o0wyryTTbR1usf292o1_400.gif

tumblr_o0x02jBTwc1usf292o1_400.gif

Most have already pointed out the 'flaw' that needs to be addressed. I would recommend that you check at the thread on
DBSF(Drops-Barrel-Swings-Flat)
Another thing that jumps out at me but, is hard to tell because of no home plate. Does your DD have a closed stance? What I see is your DD's rear leg/foot 45 degree back from the front foot.
I would like to see your DD's feet at least even to to the plate. Not closed off as they appear to be. Makes it hard to get the rear hip and rear leg 'through'.
Another thing that jumps out at me is who is pitching. Need to see balls lower in the zone and not coming from high to low. Throw balls on a straight line and with a little more speed. Bad pitching not helping.
Again JMHO.

Last edited:
rd that was my bad pitching, 2 days earlier I got smoked in the back by another girl that is actually the one working out in the other cage next to us resulting in a 12" perfect softball bruise seams and all so im still alittle spooked,( and yes there was a screen) lol also we did notice her rear foot back from her front foot a few inches, I think we got that figured out. we will work on the things you guys said and I will have some update vid's later on, thanks again guys!

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
I would hold off on extension until she learns how to turn the barrel behind the rear hip and fire her hips, torso, and then hands through the plane of the pitch. You might find extension to come a little more naturally at that point. Just my 2 cents though.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Don't think that drill is doing her any favors.
Keep some bat angle by tilting at the waist. Extension will just happen.

For a feeling of extension
By doing a reverse hand swing,(lead arm swing) .
https://youtu.be/-A2tuXwB3u8

For bat angle
Her body needs to look more like this with this bat angle to the ball
Elbow higher than hands
hands higher than barrel of bat
https://youtu.be/P_DxMRXQ7SQ

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SL, JBooth tried to explain to you that the reverse top hand drill that you were having your daughter perform was not resulting in her realize post impact extension towards the pitcher. If you slow the video down and look at it closely then you'll see that he is correct.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL, JBooth tried to explain to you that the reverse top hand drill that you were having your daughter perform was not resulting in her realize post impact extension towards the pitcher. If you slow the video down and look at it closely then you'll see that he is correct.

You would have to work with students to understand what the drill does for hitters...
Go ahead you can have the last word....
Have a nice day

Straightleg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12