Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I've watched this video at least 20 times. How anyone can put any blame on the runners who got taken out is beyond me. Y'all are certainly welcome to your opinion, but it's based solely on assumptions.

If they were attempting to take the catcher out, why were they not more prepared for the contact? The only way you get leveled like that is by not expecting the contact. Don't say the catcher got them before they had the chance, because the catcher just stuck her elbow out. She didn't close the distance suddenly.

Watch a normal tackle in football. You don't see players flying through the air when the contact is expected. Watch a blind side hit during an INT return. This is exactly how it looks because the person getting hit is not expecting contact. That throws the whole "they were going to take the catcher out" issue out the door for me.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Edited to add: Anyone who threatens violence against a 17 year old child should have that attached to every job application and background check they ever do.
Where is Curt Schilling when you need him!!

But the angle the camera gives clearly shows both runners (especially the second one) abruptly changing course and veering toward the catcher at the last instant before contact
it looked to me like the runners were on the foul side of the baseline and then veered in to touch the plate, that the catcher was obstructing. (this coming from a father who's DD was picked up by a larger player (soccer) and then dumped on her head, right in front of a referee who "didn't see anything". so I'm always going to side with the victim)

The catcher executed those two moves so perfectly, so cleanly....it was beautifully done, but absolutely bush league.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
The stronger girl had on full equipment. But, it looks like to me that she doesn't weigh over 125.

Oh, shoot. Now, I am even trying to think how to take out a 17 yo girl. Forgive me.

Let's say the catcher did intentionally and wrongfully hit these girls. What should have been done is she approach them, immediately and apologize. Then, apologize to everyone that would listen. I don't think her opponents are going to forget by next year.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
So going forward... If you are a coach and your team is going to play against said catchers team, is it not your responsibility to not only make sure your players aware of what this catcher is capable of AND to also coach/teach your players how to protect themselves. If you as a coach don't prepare your team for this and in a sense put your team in the mindset that collision is going to occur at the plate and in protecting themselves they may need to brace or slide low or...., but NEVER, allow a catcher to make you go around Her if She doesn't possess the ball or a play is imminent. ETC,ETC,ETC. If you don't prepare your players you(the coach/parent) put the players at risk and are at fault if an injury occurs to one of your players due to lack of preparation.
Mark my words, if this young lady doesn't take some time off there will be an injury.(SADLY).....

Jun 9, 2015
I'm not sure I would go as far as calling the runners "wrong", but I would expect a runner trying to score to take (what appears to be) the available path of much less resistance to the plate. As I have mentioned previously, it makes me curious to know if the runners were instructed to run through the catcher - especially after the first hit. Draw an OBS call, and the run scores for sure.

As i have stated before, My daughter plays for the black/white team. having been around this program for the past 7 years with this coach, and knowing the runners first hand they were not instructed to run through the catcher, nor would they if they would have been instructed. the first time it happened the ball was thrown into second base to try and get the hitter from getting a double. the second time the ball was cur by the pitcher and the pitcher was holding the ball looking at the hitter on 1st, the runner was approximately 10-12 ft from the plate. after the runner got blown up at home, the catcher hollars for the ball then the pitcher turns and sees her holding up the glove and wanting the ball. If the pitcher lets the ball through there is a play at the plate, once she cut it off, the runner and next batter told her she was up (not to slide) thats when she got blasted. i was at the game sitting front row of the stands, i heard it and saw all of it.

Mar 26, 2013
FWIW, it doesn't appear to me the catcher is "throwing an elbow" to hit the runners with it. Rather, she's using her upper arm to shove/shed the runners.

She should move out of the way when she sees there isn't going to be a play. Even so, people would rightfully be screaming if the catcher had been run over.

Jun 9, 2015
So going forward... If you are a coach and your team is going to play against said catchers team, is it not your responsibility to not only make sure your players aware of what this catcher is capable of AND to also coach/teach your players how to protect themselves. If you as a coach don't prepare your team for this and in a sense put your team in the mindset that collision is going to occur at the plate and in protecting themselves they may need to brace or slide low or...., but NEVER, allow a catcher to make you go around Her if She doesn't possess the ball or a play is imminent. ETC,ETC,ETC. If you don't prepare your players you(the coach/parent) put the players at risk and are at fault if an injury occurs to one of your players due to lack of preparation.
Mark my words, if this young lady doesn't take some time off there will be an injury.(SADLY).....

i keep hearing the girls should have just slide hard and taken her out since she didnt have the ball, but if they did that, then we would be watching the same video complaining how unsportsman like the runners were.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As i have stated before, My daughter plays for the black/white team. having been around this program for the past 7 years with this coach, and knowing the runners first hand they were not instructed to run through the catcher, nor would they if they would have been instructed. the first time it happened the ball was thrown into second base to try and get the hitter from getting a double. the second time the ball was cur by the pitcher and the pitcher was holding the ball looking at the hitter on 1st, the runner was approximately 10-12 ft from the plate. after the runner got blown up at home, the catcher hollars for the ball then the pitcher turns and sees her holding up the glove and wanting the ball. If the pitcher lets the ball through there is a play at the plate, once she cut it off, the runner and next batter told her she was up (not to slide) thats when she got blasted. i was at the game sitting front row of the stands, i heard it and saw all of it.

That very well may be true. However, with all due respect let's be clear on what we know to be true and what we hope and believe is true. Having seen quite a bit of footage neither team was a shining example of great sportsmanship. Not a proud moment for anyone involved.

Jul 6, 2013
I played football and baseball in texas in the late 90s. I can vouch that everything that happened in this softball game was very minor compared to what we were instructed to do and what we did on our own to win. If I was the catcher I would have been screamed at because the runner was able to get up and walk off-my coaches would have said if she got close body slam her.

So what you are saying is that when you played baseball in Texas, the coach informed your catcher to block the plate without the ball, and then body slam anyone that tries to get to the plate? Sorry, calling BS on that. You don't get to make incredulous statements just to back up your position and not get called on em.

And in football-the things that happen in the trenches and especially under a fumble pile most people never know about or see. Youd have a different perspective if you were part of that culture (texas sports).
This wasn't a football pile up. And on the Texas sports culture....what you are saying is that the whole state is just full of poor sportsmanship and thuggery? I can dig it...I did watch the A&M assistant hitting WVU players in the sidelines last year b

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13