*POLL* 18u everybody plays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

would you play for a team like this?

• yes

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • no

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It depends on the Event that the team is playing in. The TB organizations are getting back to competitive style events. Play 3 showcase games and then Single Elimination on Sunday. Some events you will play 4-5 predetermined games where there is a rotational strategy. Summer Nationals (pick an org) play to win! And you should use all of your players. They are on your team for a reason...right? Some players will get less playing time, but should get several AB's and def innings.

Boulder IDT is a showcase event with 6-10 games. 6 will determine your bracket seeding, but in all reality it doesn't matter because most of the teams are pretty good. If you look at the pools and brackets, they have done a pretty good way of rewarding the better teams. Pools A/B will be the stud teams that will play each other in "pool play" and the rest of the pools will be the other teams for the most part. When they do the seeding, Pools A/B will not face each other until 3rd bracket game once they bounce out of the "lesser" teams. Even if you win your bracket, you still have to face a top 10 team within your 2 or 3 game. Love to see the upsets and the bracket busting!

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Funny thing about Showcases is that you should Showcasing all your players. Heard a few stories of players setting up to be seen at events but never getting into those games.

There was a pitcher who was the teams number 2/3 depending on the weekend and she reached out to a few D3 coaches and let them know she was going to be playing. She never saw the circle. No 1 pitched 3 complete games that day.

Another kid had a family drive 3+ hours to a showcase. 3 nights in a hotel meal etc. She got a total of 1 AB and 1 inning in the field for the 5 games.

If this was going to be the case let me know upfront and the family can save the 750-1000 bucks sitting the bench cost.

Showcases are for ALL the players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How does this happen? I was the college liaison and no coach leaned on the fence without me knowing who they were there to see. If they weren't in the game they were the next inning. This does mean the players need to be writing coaches.

As for families showing up, that's sad but not like a coach not getting to see a player.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
How does this happen? I was the college liaison and no coach leaned on the fence without me knowing who they were there to see. If they weren't in the game they were the next inning. This does mean the players need to be writing coaches.

As for families showing up, that's sad but not like a coach not getting to see a player.
Totally agree. If the families are doing their job by sending emails, communicating with the team's college liaison and the college coaches show up, you better believe that player will be in the game. The more experienced TB coach will know ahead of time that a certain coach will be showing up and at which game because of existing relationships.

However, we had a college coach that asked to see a player hit again, but sometimes it just can't work out. It was the last 5 minutes of the game and there was 2 outs, and by the time I got the coaches attention the inning was over. Frankly, I had never heard of this community college, this player had not been emailing ANY coaches and I am 100% sure this player would never consider this school.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If players are of generally equal ability and are all doing their best, I'd be fine with it. The purpose of a "showcase" is to get players in front of college coaches. Can't do that if they're on the bench. If a player's ability isn't up to the level of play of the rest of the team, I'd question why they are there more than their playing time. That said, I've learned to hate showcase tournaments. The majority are nothing but money grabs.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Showcasing is fine.
Has a purpose.
I want to compete to win.
Also has a purpose.

Prefer a schedule that provides both.
This means players performance defines line up & field.
There will be a starting 9
at tournaments.
& when we play friendlies
*Atleast one game will be that starting 9

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm curious about something. Our very first TB team included 12 players. While there was 3 or 4 standouts, we had another 6 or 7 that were relatively equal in ability and work ethic. We had two that were clearly a step below. This was 12u, so we still tried to play everyone. However, when we were playing key games, our top 9 was always on the field. As we progressed through the years, our goal was to add new players that were similar in ability to our core. By the time we got to 16u, we still had 12 players but could take virtually any combination of them and be competitive. So, I'm curious why teams offer roster spots to players that they know won't see the field much? What's the purpose? If you don't have plans to play a specific player, why have that player on your team?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So, I'm curious why teams offer roster spots to players that they know won't see the field much? What's the purpose? If you don't have plans to play a specific player, why have that player on your team?

Because they pay their dues/fees every month. ;)

Jul 14, 2018
Some thoughts on RAD’s question, taken with a heavy dose of salt as DD is only 14...

If the goal is to showcase, is it really that important to get everyone in the game? At 18U, there will most likely be players who are already committed, does it really help them to get an AB that could go to a teammate who is still looking for a school?

Everyone seems to agree that players making contact with coaches before a showcase is super-important, so why the need to rotate everyone in? It would be extremely unusual for a coach to spot an uncommitted player and take a serious interest based on one game (or would it?).

Finally, I’ve read DFP reports of college coaches weighing in with recruits about where they should play travel ball. In most cases, the college coach wants their players to face the best possible competition. Would an 18U team where everyone plays be seeing the best competition?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I'm curious about something. Our very first TB team included 12 players. While there was 3 or 4 standouts, we had another 6 or 7 that were relatively equal in ability and work ethic. We had two that were clearly a step below. This was 12u, so we still tried to play everyone. However, when we were playing key games, our top 9 was always on the field. As we progressed through the years, our goal was to add new players that were similar in ability to our core. By the time we got to 16u, we still had 12 players but could take virtually any combination of them and be competitive. So, I'm curious why teams offer roster spots to players that they know won't see the field much? What's the purpose? If you don't have plans to play a specific player, why have that player on your team?
Great question!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Some thoughts on RAD’s question, taken with a heavy dose of salt as DD is only 14...

If the goal is to showcase, is it really that important to get everyone in the game? At 18U, there will most likely be players who are already committed, does it really help them to get an AB that could go to a teammate who is still looking for a school?

Everyone seems to agree that players making contact with coaches before a showcase is super-important, so why the need to rotate everyone in? It would be extremely unusual for a coach to spot an uncommitted player and take a serious interest based on one game (or would it?).

Finally, I’ve read DFP reports of college coaches weighing in with recruits about where they should play travel ball. In most cases, the college coach wants their players to face the best possible competition. Would an 18U team where everyone plays be seeing the best competition?

what I notice here ca.
college coaches routinely visit
Recruits still playing travel.
Get a look see, And tend to use those teams as a resource.
Teams that have already recruited players will almost certainly have coaches attending games.

To your last question- teams where all play will they play the best.

Thats kinda a tricky one.

Because its yes and no.
The top teams have a large majority going D1 so yes they can play anyone...
But will also have a starting 9
Come nationals.
Below that level is below that level then the answer is no.
They can play in same event like a qualifier at that level but probably not win pgf premier nationals if there playing players who have poor hitting and errors.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1