Please don't hate me my back east friends

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
My daughter and I flew from New Jersey out to a PGF showcase in Huntington Beach this weekend. It started raining on Saturday and didn't stop until Sunday night. Four of the seven games that were scheduled were canceled. Should have stayed home.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
My daughter and I flew from New Jersey out to a PGF showcase in Huntington Beach this weekend. It started raining on Saturday and didn't stop until Sunday night. Four of the seven games that were scheduled were canceled. Should have stayed home.

Yea. The rain sucked this weekend. Big time. Buuuut because of the rain my daughters games were canceled too so I went and did some more fishing !

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
You're no longer my DFPBFF...Let's see how my week went....

Tuesday truck broke down in 6 degree weather. I really enjoyed working on it that night, in the cold wind, with ski gloves on and a flashlight in my mouth....oh let's not forget the need for a blow torch to warm stuff up.

Wednesday evening around 10:30 my DD goes down in the basement to get some laundry and says..."Dad...I think you better come down here"...Yup....Frozen pipe burst behind the paneled wall and dumped water out like a hydrant behind the wall and into the finished basement to a degree of 2"....carpeting, sheetrock, paneling, pool table, air hockey, computer, tv...etc, etc, etc.

Of course things happen in 3's....so last night my oldest DD comes down from upstairs around 9:30 with a towel around herself (after attempting to take a shower) and says..."I think we're out of oil". Mhmmm...no oil, no heat, no hot water.

On the bright side....

I fixed the truck...it sucked, but I got it done.

Dryers and vacuum have been running 24-hrs a day and the basement is drying out, and eventuality will be dry and everything can be rebuilt or replaced. Water sucks, but it's better than fire.

I didn't enjoy filling up two fuel tanks with diesel at the gas station in my PJ's last night but I re-fired the furnace and we had a warm nights sleep.

And my Patriots won...so all is not too bad.

So yeah...Winter can really suck at times...but it's all part of living in New England.

patriotpete.jpg

Mar 26, 2013
Sorry to hear that. Good thing you got the 2 extra games on Friday...

It's risky coming out here Nov-Apr - especially Dec-Feb - because that's when we get over 90% of our rain. Cities (e.g. HB, FV and Irv) are quick to shut down their fields whenever it rains and they won't put in any effort to get fields playable like they do back east. The refund policies lock in the TD's profit, so they have no incentive to get games in.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Winter can really suck at times...but it's all part of living in New England.

I was just about to complain about the 48 degree rainy weather we are having right now in GA, but after reading your post I think I will just keep my mouth shut and be thankful I do not live in New England....

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I was just about to complain about the 48 degree rainy weather we are having right now in GA, but after reading your post I think I will just keep my mouth shut and be thankful I do not live in New England....

Right after I moved to Madison, Wisconsin, I was discussing the Wisconsin winters with a Madison native who had moved to Georgia. A guy from Barrow, Alaska started teasing us, saying we didn't know what REAL winter was like, and how we were slaves to fashion for not wearing wolverine skin jackets. This guy from Barrow said he knew an Eskimo family that went ahead on a camping trip even though it hit -80 F.

It's all relative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom