Playing the old team...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Have your girls bring the other team/coach a small present and give the coach a big hug before the game. Let's see how big of a jerk he really is.

I once saw a well intentioned team mom of another team provide a gift of 2 dozen glazed doughnuts just as they were warming up. She had no idea what she did. :)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Isn't it amazing how classless some kids are. I imagine that some of this is learned behavior. I know if I heard of my kid doing this, she'd be in a heap of trouble!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Remind them why they left....but stay as positive as you can while doing so.

Tell them they are wanted and appreciated here.

Tell them there are teams for everyone and that you are glad they finally found the right one.

Tell them how well they are doing and that you are incredibly happy and blessed to have them on your team.

Let them know you are there for them and if they ever have questions or need to talk about anything, the door is open.

If you think either of them might succumb to their nerves, have her/them sit if you happen to play their old team. Don't forget to explain why.

Don't change anything. If they are enjoying their experience, it is imperative you continue to provide it.

These are typically the types of conversations I have with most of the players. Each player is different, but these two seem like they were just looking for someone to believe in them besides mom and dad. Part of our job as coaches is to help them feel that.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm in the "kick the shat out of them camp". ( on the field ) Sorry, but that"s just how I look upon those who talk crap. It's coming from the coaches/parents first, then trickles down to the girls and they mimic what their adults say. I never talked crap, until another coach/team started, then the gloves came off and so did my muzzle.

There is "competitive spirit", and there is rudeness.Rudeness will get a big bald guy and 9 players in your face. Win or lose, make your mark!!!!

When I was growing up, I dealt with my share of this crap as well. My goal was to keep my mouth shut and let my bat do the talking. Then, after the game was over I would walk up to the big mouths and point to the scoreboard :) Great feeling.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Isn't it amazing how classless some kids are. I imagine that some of this is learned behavior. I know if I heard of my kid doing this, she'd be in a heap of trouble!

I agree with you completely. I will never claim that my DD is an angel, but I would be very surprised to hear she was involved in this type of behavior. Overall, our team has a winning percentage slightly better than 50/50. It feels good to win. But it also feels good when an umpire walks up to you after a close game, shakes your hand, and says "it was a pleasure working your game". I am proud of the way our teams plays and very proud of the way they carry themselves.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
This happened to us last season, a player came from another to team to play with us becuase the team kept bringing guests every weekend and sitting thier players. WE got scheduled to play them in an open tournament. After discussing it witht he player (a pitcher) we decided not to play her that game (if we lost i didnt want it to blame herself). We would up winning the game and I did let her pinch hit (she got a double).

After the game her family came up to the team and thanked them for winning.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Update - we played the other team and lost by one. Good game and uneventful. I did notice that one of the other teams players refused to shake hands with our two girls that came from that team. I was then surprised when the head coach snubbed them as well (that other players dad). After the post game team meeting both players thanked me for having them on my team. I am very proud of the way they handled the situation. I then walked around to find the other teams coach. I politely congratulated him on a good game and then mentioned that these are children/teens that he was snubbing. It remained professional but I doubt it did any good. Just felt I needed to express my disappointment in his actions. Thanks again for the input and advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom