Playing the old team...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We have two girls that came to us from a different organization. They are great girls with awesome families, and have been solid contributors since they joined us in September. Sorry for being so positive but I have nothing negative to say about either. Anyway, they apparently had a very bad experience last year. The other players did not treat them well and the HC was very hard on them. Honestly, the primary thing we have worked on is their confidence because they are pretty solid players. We have just learned that their old team is in a tourney we are in two weeks from now. They are an A team. We are a B team. This happens to be an open tournament so classification does not matter. Both are very nervous and are already receiving nasty messages from the other team through various media. One of the girls also goes to school with some of the other team's players and is getting an earful there. I have been giving them the positive pep talks for the past six months and was just wondering what other coaches out there would say to them. Regardless what happens we are very happy to have both of these girls on our team. Any advice?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Call the coach and tell him his players are about to be named for cyber bullying if he does not nip it in the bud. See how that goes over and if he blows you off call the school.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
. Sorry for being so positive but I have nothing negative to say about either. Anyway, they apparently had a very bad experience last year.

Haha...isn't it sad when you have to feel guilty about praising having good players and families on your team. I get it.

I for one don't mind a little smack talking but this sounds like it is WAY over the line of "friendly" competition.

Do what InsidePitch said. I hate coaches that ingrain this type of attitude in players. It isn't always the coaches but I've seen it more fall into their laps than not. Especially if it is more than one or two players.

Remind them why they left....but stay as positive as you can while doing so.

Tell them they are wanted and appreciated here.

Tell them there are teams for everyone and that you are glad they finally found the right one.

Tell them how well they are doing and that you are incredibly happy and blessed to have them on your team.

Let them know you are there for them and if they ever have questions or need to talk about anything, the door is open.

If you think either of them might succumb to their nerves, have her/them sit if you happen to play their old team. Don't forget to explain why.

Don't change anything. If they are enjoying their experience, it is imperative you continue to provide it.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I've seen "B" teams beat "A" teams plenty of times. If you happen to meet them on the field... beat them, that is the best way to shut them up.

I for one am glad I didn't have to grow up with all this Social Media stuff... I have had my run-ins with this stuff plenty of times, it sucks. I'm sorry your girls have to go through this.

Aug 6, 2013
My DD went through this - It was very hard.
The biggest problem she had is she tried to hard and pushed to much and she let her pride get the better of her. she didn't play her game but rather let them get into her head.
She was trying to be too fine with her pitching trying to crush the ball every AB.

We lost, She blamed her self -
We told her that no one player is greater than the team and explained that there were 10 girls on her team now that had her back.

I'd love to tell you - You will defeat this team the girls will be the stars the other team will have new found respect for them and all will dissolve in to a slow clap from their dug-out - More than likely that won't happen.

BUT... they will have lived through it and will be better for it.

Nov 1, 2008
Have your girls bring the other team/coach a small present and give the coach a big hug before the game. Let's see how big of a jerk he really is.

Feb 3, 2011
As coaches, it is our responsibility to always, always, always take the high road*.

(* - whenever possible)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm in the "kick the shat out of them camp". ( on the field ) Sorry, but that"s just how I look upon those who talk crap. It's coming from the coaches/parents first, then trickles down to the girls and they mimic what their adults say. I never talked crap, until another coach/team started, then the gloves came off and so did my muzzle.

There is "competitive spirit", and there is rudeness.Rudeness will get a big bald guy and 9 players in your face. Win or lose, make your mark!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32