Players missing games and practices. A new(ish) trend? Well, I DON'T LIKE IT!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
A couple of reasons, first it clears the runner from fair balls hit down the line, and second if a ball does hit them it's foul and not an out. Also go back to the bag in fair ground in case of a pick attempt.

Ok, I knew about staying in foul territory when taking a lead off from third, but hadn't heard to go back in fair territory. Why is that?

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Welcome to Rec ball. I don't understand parents who sign there kids up for so many things that they know will conflict with each other but its a battle that we fight constantly. We love Rec ball and my kids are dedicated to getting better and to their teams but its not everyone. Certainly something I try to identify before the draft if possible.

Most leagues have a mechanism to "call up" younger players to act as subs. Do you not have the ability to do this?

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
After 2 1/2 months of being on the team:
Your coaching is confusing and frustrating my DD....
Well can you give me a specific example of what I have done so I can correct it if wrong?
Your coaching is above the players age level, you talk to much about things that do not matter at this age...
Well sir, your player has missed more practice than any other player, maybe this is why she is confused and frustrated....
Well that's because I do not want her around your coaching....
Circular logic?

I struggle understanding why you would consistently miss practice. Last month our starting pitcher missed because she won an academic award. I TOTALLY UNDERSTOOD AND SUPPORTED THIS REASONING! Yet half way through practice there she was...running down to practice. She had asked if they would give her the award earlier so she could honor her other commitments. :) She is 9. I see it in a very simple light...Either you are committed or you are not. Period.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
After 2 1/2 months of being on the team:
Your coaching is confusing and frustrating my DD....
Well can you give me a specific example of what I have done so I can correct it if wrong?
Your coaching is above the players age level, you talk to much about things that do not matter at this age...
Well sir, your player has missed more practice than any other player, maybe this is why she is confused and frustrated....
Well that's because I do not want her around your coaching....
Circular logic?

Did you ask why DD hasn't spoken to YOU about it directly?

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Most leagues have a mechanism to "call up" younger players to act as subs. Do you not have the ability to do this?

Yes, but it's a very unorganized process. Luckily, I've always had enough for a legal lineup. It's the teams that we play who are having major issues with game attendance.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
No but now I will. I am done interacting with parents so much anymore. Very frustrating. Thanks for the suggestion.

Good. Parents are only there to cheer for the team and drive their players to and from the game and practice. They are not there to question HC's every move.

Apr 7, 2013
On my TB team not showing for practice or games on a regular basis without a good reason, you'll be looking for a new team. Rec or LL it's 100% on the Parents, they know what they signed up for and should be committed to that. Even if it's there child's first experience with SB and they Hate it, they should stick it out at least for that current season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing