Foot work and pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
So i'm watching Bama versus TN over the weekend and noticed footwork on TN pitcher.

Started all good, 1 foot back, hands good etc. BUT she rocked way back and her front foot lost contact with rubber. I mean completely off, like heel is 6" behind rubber and front of foot is way up in the air. Then foot come down, body comes forward, etc and pitch delivered.

How can this be legal???

May 26, 2022
I am pretty sure (99%) that they aren't supposed to lose contact on the rock back. I know they can rock back as long as the foot (heel) stays in contact, then the toe comes back into contact with the rubber as they deliver. That is what my daughter does.

But lots of things doesn't get called, so I am not surprised that it could get overlooked. I mean there are pitchers on TV almost everyday that lose contact with the ground on every pitch.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So i'm watching Bama versus TN over the weekend and noticed footwork on TN pitcher.

Started all good, 1 foot back, hands good etc. BUT she rocked way back and her front foot lost contact with rubber. I mean completely off, like heel is 6" behind rubber and front of foot is way up in the air. Then foot come down, body comes forward, etc and pitch delivered.

How can this be legal???
They are way too busy watching the other foot to make sure there is no reverse replant. LOL

Jan 30, 2019

How can this be legal???
Because it is legal. See rule insert from NCAA 2022-2023 rule book.

10.5.3 It is legal to slide the pivot foot forward or across the pitcher’s plate provided contact with the pitcher’s plate is maintained.
Exception: Physical contact with the pitcher’s plate may be lost if all of the following apply:
10.5.3.1 The pivot foot is in contact with the pitcher’s plate when the pitcher turns, twists or bends their pivot foot;
10.5.3.2 If the pivot foot has not reduced the distance to home plate; and
10.5.3.3 The pivot foot must remain in contact with the ground; however, rocking onto either the toe or heel is allowed.

While I didn't see the TN pitcher, but the instruction from NCAA is that if the pivot foot is completely off the ground then it is considered a step, to which the pitcher is only allowed one step/stride.

Jul 31, 2019
Because it is legal. See rule insert from NCAA 2022-2023 rule book.

10.5.3 It is legal to slide the pivot foot forward or across the pitcher’s plate provided contact with the pitcher’s plate is maintained.
Exception: Physical contact with the pitcher’s plate may be lost if all of the following apply:
10.5.3.1 The pivot foot is in contact with the pitcher’s plate when the pitcher turns, twists or bends their pivot foot;
10.5.3.2 If the pivot foot has not reduced the distance to home plate; and
10.5.3.3 The pivot foot must remain in contact with the ground; however, rocking onto either the toe or heel is allowed.

While I didn't see the TN pitcher, but the instruction from NCAA is that if the pivot foot is completely off the ground then it is considered a step, to which the pitcher is only allowed one step/stride.
Quick question on 5.3.2. If the pivot foot is drawn back, then slides forward but does NOT reduce the distance to home plate from the original position on the rubber (ie, the draw back distance is greater then the forward toe movement), is that legal?

Jan 30, 2019
Quick question on 5.3.2. If the pivot foot is drawn back, then slides forward but does NOT reduce the distance to home plate from the original position on the rubber (ie, the draw back distance is greater then the forward toe movement), is that legal?
Not exactly sure what you mean by drawn backwards, if it is just a rocking motion, then yes, it is legal. But if lifts off the ground, then it is illegal or no pitch is coming because that have disengaged the pitch and everything needs to start over. I have never seen a pitcher slide her pivot backwards then forwards, other than what is nominally done with a rock back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478