Pitching work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
We do similar 4 days a week and some long toss as part of that. She also takes off a full month twice a year. This was at the suggestion of Ortho after pars fracture couple years ago.

Saying that I'm very aware that most of the pitchers she is competing against are throwing a LOT more than that. So it may be holding her back some right now but hoping long-term benefits will be worth it.

Oct 4, 2018
My 14U daughter tops out at 60 as well.

We do long toss twice per week, but only about 10-12 throws. She can throw it farther in long toss to me than I can throw overhand back to her. And I'm no slouch. I'm impressed by these girls.

How many throws do you do?

My take is that any big jumps in MPH are in the rear view. It's going to be just slow and steady, with gains in speed coming from simply growing and fine tuning of mechanics. I do think core and leg workouts will help a tad, but I'm not expecting huge gains from them. These girls are near the end of their MPH gains. They might get to 65 over the next 4 years, might get to 68, might only get to 62.

Jun 29, 2023
Do you think the easy jumps are over becasue they are done growing? Or is it just hard to keep having jumps after 60?

Jul 18, 2021
My 14U daughter tops out at 60 as well.

We do long toss twice per week, but only about 10-12 throws. She can throw it farther in long toss to me than I can throw overhand back to her. And I'm no slouch. I'm impressed by these girls.

How many throws do you do?

My take is that any big jumps in MPH are in the rear view. It's going to be just slow and steady, with gains in speed coming from simply growing and fine tuning of mechanics. I do think core and leg workouts will help a tad, but I'm not expecting huge gains from them. These girls are near the end of their MPH gains. They might get to 65 over the next 4 years, might get to 68, might only get to 62.

Nice! I usually have her throw around 20 pitches when we long toss. She usually does them with a walk up. And I will agree it’s impressive, I couldn’t do it! My DD pitching coach told us the same thing, the big jumps are done. She jumped from about 48-56 year before last. This year she has picked up 4 mph. Hitting 60mph now pretty consistently the past 2 months, but can’t seem to take that next jump to 61mph. I know it’s a marathon, not a sprint, but I’m not a patient man. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2018
Seems like you are doing very well and have a pretty good handle on things. My DD practices on her own about 4 times.........................a year. Playing multiple sports has really taken a toll on practice time. She often does get 2 lessons per week, so it's not like she never throws, but still.

She hit 60 at 13 and I was hoping for 2 mph a year in high school, but it's been a roller coaster ride since then. Seems like you have a very solid plan, so stick with it, she'll get there.

Jul 18, 2021
Seems like you are doing very well and have a pretty good handle on things. My DD practices on her own about 4 times.........................a year. Playing multiple sports has really taken a toll on practice time. She often does get 2 lessons per week, so it's not like she never throws, but still.

She hit 60 at 13 and I was hoping for 2 mph a year in high school, but it's been a roller coaster ride since then. Seems like you have a very solid plan, so stick with it, she'll get there.

Thanks! I’m trying to learn on the fly so it’s nice to bounce ideas off of others on the same journey. My DD doesn’t practice much on her own, the older she gets the more she is starting to want to work on her own. She just turned 14 in September and hit 60mph when she was 13 years old, she is still an 8th grader so if I could get 2mph per year I would be stoked!

Nov 18, 2022
Nothing but love, but you gotta stop the clocking her during a game. At this stage of her development, you should be as far away from her possible...preferably down the LF line near the fence.

During a game, she has to be thinking about only one thing: the pitch she is throwing. That's what "getting into the zone" means...completely shutting out everything around you and being completely, totally in the moment. She can't do this if you are standing behind the fence with a speedgun.

At practices, she should be working on (1) speed, (2) movement, and (3) location.

At a practice, my DD would work either exclusively on speed or exclusively on movement. At the end of each and every practice, we would always work on location.

To a point but this is not golf and quiet. They need to learn to block distractions out at some point the younger the better or the other team WILL figure out how to get into their head quick. typically my DD never sees me pull the radar out as Im not up on the fence, but it never bothers her if she does- same as when she had some coaches clocking her in games or at camps like this summer- never bothered her. You will also not see her holding up the radar in online posts and I will not tell anyone except her coaches if they ask! She learned to block out everything like the bell ringers and the other dugout with chants and some parents at 11-12 years old (this was also when we knew if we yelled stand tall or some other coaching she blocked it out so we stopped) she learned this at a young age and now nothing flusters her.

Oct 4, 2018
To a point but this is not golf and quiet. They need to learn to block distractions out at some point the younger the better or the other team WILL figure out how to get into their head quick. typically my DD never sees me pull the radar out as Im not up on the fence, but it never bothers her if she does- same as when she had some coaches clocking her in games or at camps like this summer- never bothered her. You will also not see her holding up the radar in online posts and I will not tell anyone except her coaches if they ask! She learned to block out everything like the bell ringers and the other dugout with chants and some parents at 11-12 years old (this was also when we knew if we yelled stand tall or some other coaching she blocked it out so we stopped) she learned this at a young age and now nothing flusters her.

I get asked a lot, and usually down play her speed. "Oh, she's just mid 50s. I don't really know, we don't clock her much". And that's true, we haven't clocked her in months.

Nov 18, 2022
I get asked a lot, and usually down play her speed. "Oh, she's just mid 50s. I don't really know, we don't clock her much". And that's true, we haven't clocked her in months.

Her answer is always I don't know- as is my answer since most rarely ever see me clocking her
I have not clocked her in game since summer but she has been clocked on rapsodo at camps and also last weekend at a camp where they stood behind the screen with the gun during a scrimmage- didn't phase her

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06