pitching hand felt 'tingling'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
I was going to comment on OILF but decide not to waste my breath ...

Must mean I am getting more patient and smarter :)

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I know this is all toungue in cheek BUT we are just now understanding that genetics and body composition affects predispositions to repetitive motion injuries.

As in 2 athletes can do the same exact things at the same modes with the same repetitions for the same length of time. Based on certain factors it is theorized that one may show signs of RMI and the other will not.

So we cant truly compare one motion to another based on anyones career without knowing their disposition to RMIs. That IMHO is a greater factor than technique or mechanics regardless of what we consider proper or improper ;)

I've read this a few times, with a very open mind. I've a bit of a background in this stuff, too... and I'm sorta confused by what you mean in some of these statements. Could your clarify?

For one... I'm surprised to read that 'we' are just now understanding predisposition to RMI's. I've some really old text on this... and predisposition factors have been studied quite extensively... and quite specifically, for that matter. Could you expand on this... and what your definition of 'just now' might be?

Secondly, severe predisposition to injury can preclude mechanics... sure... but that's truly the minority (like less than one-tenth of one percent) of injuries sustained by athletes in this sport. Your thoughts?

Lastly... your final statement says that we can't truly compare one motion to another. This is where I became really confused... because I've over 100 medical journals that do just that... and then you say that their (the players) disposition to RMI is "a greater factor". For what?

I'd say technique and mechanics are the background of all things biomechanical... and I'm curious as to why this is of less importance, in your opinion. Genuine curiosity... not a challenge. ;)

Just curious if you can explain in detail more. Thanks! ~JS

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
First one has to believe they have identified the brushers from video. And I doubt that. Second, that the viewers know what injuries the so-called brushers and non-brushers had (and perhaps who quit due to injury, which you wont' know). Finally, for example, Ueno does not throw a change with brush, and no one who throws a flip or shove does. Screws and rollover drops are also not thrown with brush. Not many pitchers have talked about brush, I could only find about three on the Internet, with one being Balswick and he no offense is old school. I read that Thomas brushed but she had swelling in her forearm that was serious--she had to wear a compression sleeve. Cat blew out her bicep, but who knows what caused that.

Two of the internet people who espouse brush also espouse HE, because it goes with the closed position. You may have seen old timers hit their hip because they were closed, not open, or guys because they leap and close. Now pitchers are open and it is difficult to hit the body in that position. The only pitch you may see a brush on is a straight curve ball, as the body position seems to be more closed on some of those pitchers.

For me it comes down to whether at our clinics the girls will have to choose between pitching and self inflicted pain, when the thing causing it is (outdated) style only. All the while they are growing like beanstalks so I worry about healthy activities. They are not learning curve balls so don't need the palm up, hit the body stuff.

Since when did a brush be painful?

Hey, if someone's gonna say that brushing will result in injuries more than method X, then I've got to assume they compared injury rates between the two methods. If not, the argument doesn't hold water.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I've read this a few times, with a very open mind. I've a bit of a background in this stuff, too... and I'm sorta confused by what you mean in some of these statements. Could your clarify?

For one... I'm surprised to read that 'we' are just now understanding predisposition to RMI's. I've some really old text on this... and predisposition factors have been studied quite extensively... and quite specifically, for that matter. Could you expand on this... and what your definition of 'just now' might be?

Secondly, severe predisposition to injury can preclude mechanics... sure... but that's truly the minority (like less than one-tenth of one percent) of injuries sustained by athletes in this sport. Your thoughts?

Lastly... your final statement says that we can't truly compare one motion to another. This is where I became really confused... because I've over 100 medical journals that do just that... and then you say that their (the players) disposition to RMI is "a greater factor". For what?

I'd say technique and mechanics are the background of all things biomechanical... and I'm curious as to why this is of less importance, in your opinion. Genuine curiosity... not a challenge. ;)

Just curious if you can explain in detail more. Thanks! ~JS

Great points, JS. I'm all ears for the responses to your questions.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Seriously???!!! As they say on ESPN... "Come on, man!"

Finally, for example, Ueno does not throw a change with brush, and no one who throws a flip or shove does.

2enq2vs.gif

Here's the same one... with a little more analysis:

23tr4oi.gif

Screws and rollover drops are also not thrown with brush.

2hdcgzt.gif

9j2mua.jpg

Not many pitchers have talked about brush, I could only find about three on the Internet, with one being Balswick and he no offense is old school.

What are your thoughts on newer school pitchers... such as these?

You may have seen old timers hit their hip because they were closed, not open, or guys because they leap and close. Now pitchers are open and it is difficult to hit the body in that position. The only pitch you may see a brush on is a straight curve ball, as the body position seems to be more closed on some of those pitchers.

Seriously? Our arms are attached to the sides of our torso!!! Open doesn't make brush less, it makes it more. I guess you're saying that bowling kicks and sticking your butt out to clear are healthy, right?

For me it comes down to whether at our clinics the girls will have to choose between pitching and self inflicted pain...

That reads funny...quite funny, actually. Self-inflicted pain... clinics with OILF. Hope they choose pitching.

Sep 10, 2013
Even that total annhilation will not dent the armor that is OILFs calcified cranium. She and Gronk need to get together, maybe they can create profiles on disharmony.com and hook up.

is OILF a HE or a SHE? I mean gender, not hellow elbow. honest question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck