pitching hand felt 'tingling'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
record her from the side and see if she is inner rotating her bicep before 9:00 the bend will still be in her arm but bent with her hand slightly toward 3rd base. From that position when she her upper arm comes down her Medial elbow can more directly hit the hip bone.

her upper arm rotation needs to begin after 9:00 so that the upper arm slows down as it is inner rotating.

If she upper arm rotates before 9 it will come into her hip at full speed instead of slowing down as it rotates.

an easy way to see it is if her entire arm looks somewhat straight from 9 all the way to brush but had a bend in it at 10 or 11

from side view, DD's arm is definitely not locked, but slightly bent, but is over-rotating and pointing to 3rd at 9. however, DD's not hitting her hip.

elbow down at 9 - that's something that we're working on.
it's a bit difficult to comprehend that to speed up you have to slow down or something to that effect.

Nov 7, 2014
it doesn't matter I used hip as a location what matters is that that position can possibly submit her to full speed blows to the inner elbow area where the ulnar nerve is located in the elbow. Doesn't matter where that location in the elbow hit if it hits hard enough it can produce the same results

due this

you place your arm at 9 with a light bend in it palm-up
now turn your upper arm allowing your forearm to turn with it

now you should have your arm at 9 with your bicep more toward 3rd then up and bend in arm is slightly toward third.

now holding that arm position take your arm down to your side slowly.

where did your inner elbow contact and now imagine speeding that up.

the method I just told you can occur while pitching and is wrong but at full speed very hard to see.

I posted dozens of videos of My DD doing it at full speed and only 2 people saw it was happening so it is very hard to see.

the upper arm must slow down so it has to inner rotate at the right time the inner rotation of the upper arm is what slows it down.

But that's my 2 cents but been through it with an ortho

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2014
My DD is on her 11th year of pitching and her only pitching related injury was her elbow. The doctors said it was similar to tennis or golfers elbow. If you are getting elbow pain at a young age you must be very cautious . All you younger girls that are brushing the elbow have to be very careful. I cant see this being good for the long haul. Not to brag but my DD is very successful without all these mechanical pitching techniques on these threads. And some of these gadgets are ridiculous. Not to go off the subject but I think in her career I bought 2 $20 gadgets and paid for about 10-15 $30 lessons. She cashed in for a $160000 scholarship. Stop wasting your money. If they have the ability they will make it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD is on her 11th year of pitching and her only pitching related injury was her elbow. The doctors said it was similar to tennis or golfers elbow. If you are getting elbow pain at a young age you must be very cautious . All you younger girls that are brushing the elbow have to be very careful. I cant see this being good for the long haul. Not to brag but my DD is very successful without all these mechanical pitching techniques on these threads. And some of these gadgets are ridiculous. Not to go off the subject but I think in her career I bought 2 $20 gadgets and paid for about 10-15 $30 lessons. She cashed in for a $160000 scholarship. Stop wasting your money. If they have the ability they will make it.

It is true that if they have the ability they will make it. Somewhere. However, for some it is not just about the scholarship and playing anywhere that will have them. Their aspirations are a bit higher than that. If that is the case you need to be all in and leave no stone unturned.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Nope it is contributed to the Ulnar nerve which runs down the inside part of the elbow. it supplys feeling and some muscle control to the little and ring fingers. When she felt it she prolly whacked her inner elbow on her hip a little much. It is also known by another name "The funny Bone". keep your eyes open for feelings of tiredness or weakness in the pinky side of the hand. If it occurs she could have a little swelling in the inner elbow slightly compressing on the ulnar nerve. Just my 2 cents worth :)

This^^^^^^

Dec 13, 2014
It is true that if they have the ability they will make it. Somewhere. However, for some it is not just about the scholarship and playing anywhere that will have them. Their aspirations are a bit higher than that. If that is the case you need to be all in and leave no stone unturned.

If they have the ability to play at a top 25-30 D1 school , I would agree to go all in,but that is a small %.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If they have the ability to play at a top 25-30 D1 school , I would agree to go all in,but that is a small %.

It has little to do with the mythical "Top D1 Programs". If your DD is going to college to get an education and play softball you need not invest as much. However, if your DD is going to college to play softball and get an education that is a different animal.

Sep 10, 2013

thanks and congrats to your daughter's 160k scholarship. but let's stay on topic please.
DD's elbow does not hurt. she just felt a little strange like as described earlier some tingling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32