pitching hand felt 'tingling'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I dunno, at least three posters have posted about bruising and other things. Another two want to buy sleeves to prevent the discomfort of banging the body. You are not the pitcher, easy for you to say it's nothing. Let's have you learn the brush right next to them, and throw 100 pitches a day (and the hard part will be when you are learning to get it right, or if you grow 6 inches).

Aim your argument to gronknation, he brought it up and made it a death sentence.

Your honesty is welcome, but you should have quit then.

Nov 7, 2014
LoL OILF Wow just WoW ...

I asked about the rig not due to my DD's brush but because She sometimes hits Her hip Bone. the word there is SOMETIMES. Her brush is on the upper forearm ... Hey why Do you not ask Cat, or sarah why they wear the same rigs on there Elbows ...

Look I know you just want all of your pitchers to stay Closed and twirl there arms around as straight and locked and as fast as they Can because
god forbid one of there arms come in contact with there bodies ...

Look LET ME INFORM YOU OF SOMETHING ...

If you want to be a rec pitchers mechanics do not matter ... But if you want to become as good as you can then the mechanics do matter.

And in every sport in every position The reason the best players are there is because they do push there bodies to the brink of injury everytime they go on the field... That is why they are there ... anything short of that is well Just settling For second or third best :(

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When Rick first talked about brush interference, I thought he was wrong.

My DD and I were playing a little pitch and catch, and I heard her arm hitting shorts and shirts, every time. I asked her about how long she had been doing it...it was 10 years after she graduated. She said, "Always. You know, everyone told me to stand up straight when I threw. So, I always brushed my leg when I threw. I thought it was wrong, and tried to fix it, but I didn't throw as hard and I wasn't as accurate."

Jan 4, 2015
Tacoma, wa
My daughter has developed constant pain/tingling in all of her fingers on her right hand at the age of 14 :( She hasn't played softball or her clarinet since the end of October, has been through hand therapy, and has not shown improvement. If a player is complaining of tingling I'd suggest erring on the side of caution. My girl is so sad to be sidelined that she's taken up playing left handed and will likely start trying to pitch lh soon. She has a nerve study scheduled for later this month so hopefully we'll know more then. I wish we'd taken her pain more seriously much earlier.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
My daughter has developed constant pain/tingling in all of her fingers on her right hand at the age of 14 :( She hasn't played softball or her clarinet since the end of October, has been through hand therapy, and has not shown improvement. If an shelter is complaining of tingling I'd suggest erring on the side of caution. My girl is so sad to be sidelined that she's taken up playing left handed and will likely start trying to pitch lh soon. She has a nerve study scheduled for later this month so hopefully we'll know more then. I wish we'd taken her pain more seriously much earlier.

I am Deeply sorry to Hear this. I have had the same thing with My DD . So I pay attention to every sign I can . But in the end Mine I believe Would tell me it is not hurting when it is. I have Learned to look for the signs myself.

Like Fatique , trying to over compensate , Loss of overhand Throwing Speed , And What I like to say Is "Loss of strength and tiredness in Her arm". like have her carry something she Can usually grip easily and carry easily And the optimum word there is "GRIP"

I wish Her A speedy recovery and quick return :(

My DD is rehabilitating from a similar injury

Sep 10, 2013
My daughter has developed constant pain/tingling in all of her fingers on her right hand at the age of 14 :( She hasn't played softball or her clarinet since the end of October, has been through hand therapy, and has not shown improvement. If a player is complaining of tingling I'd suggest erring on the side of caution. My girl is so sad to be sidelined that she's taken up playing left handed and will likely start trying to pitch lh soon. She has a nerve study scheduled for later this month so hopefully we'll know more then. I wish we'd taken her pain more seriously much earlier.

this happened to my DD once and that's the reason for the post. again, she did not even brush her forearm when this happened but there was a lot of whip (more than what she was used to) and it has not happened since.
i hope your DD gets well quick.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest

Have an EMG or nerve conduction study done IMHO

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I've read this a few times, with a very open mind. I've a bit of a background in this stuff, too... and I'm sorta confused by what you mean in some of these statements. Could your clarify?

For one... I'm surprised to read that 'we' are just now understanding predisposition to RMI's. I've some really old text on this... and predisposition factors have been studied quite extensively... and quite specifically, for that matter. Could you expand on this... and what your definition of 'just now' might be?
We don't have a roadmap of why 2 people performing the exact same motion/function (all actions being equal) can have different outcomes in regards to physical health. 2 people doing the same job the same way and one can have no ill effects while the other results in a repetitive motion injury. There is some belief that genetics play a part in this scenario. This is just in reference to RMIs btw. Just now-last 10-15 years as studying long term injuries can take decades to validate.

Secondly, severe predisposition to injury can preclude mechanics... sure... but that's truly the minority (like less than one-tenth of one percent) of injuries sustained by athletes in this sport. Your thoughts? I agree that poor mechanics can create injury if that's the reference here. Tieing into above its possible for thousands of athletes can perform an unsavory mechanical function utilzing the same force/repetition etc etc and some will suffer an injury while others will not-my question is why is this the case hence we don't fully understand all the factors. For example all of these hello elbow pitchers-Im surprised theres not more ulnar nerve injuries attributed to the motion

Lastly... your final statement says that we can't truly compare one motion to another. This is where I became really confused... because I've over 100 medical journals that do just that... and then you say that their (the players) disposition to RMI is "a greater factor". For what?

I'd say technique and mechanics are the background of all things biomechanical... and I'm curious as to why this is of less importance, in your opinion. Genuine curiosity... not a challenge. ;)Im agreeing with this and adding that there are other factors that exacerbate the problem. Lets step into a perfect scenario lol. Imagine that we can prove a certain pitching motion is optimum, then we can effectively teach all pitchers this motion and they all use it correctly. Even with this perfection so to speak there will be RMIs (severely reduced numbers I agree) and we don't know what other factors created what would be considered an anomaly. Genetics, build, proportion of fast twitch to slow twitch (which is genetic some believe).

Just curious if you can explain in detail more. Thanks! ~JS

Im not in anyway involving myself or my comments into the debate that has begun here and the brushing comments. With that being said my comments are above.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck