Pitching Break

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
What’s the recommended time off from pitching for a 10-year old? Her season ends this weekend. She surprisingly wants to keep going; maybe because she got a strikeout on a change-up today and wants to keep working on it. However, I told her she needs a break.

Apr 28, 2014
Why does she need a break in your opinion?
Is she physically drained or do you think she needs a mental break?
A lot depends on her current situation and how often she pitches. If she throws 3-4 times per week now and has been for months then yes probably a good time to take a few weeks off.
DD is 17 and she usually takes 2 breaks per year.. One immediately after summer (takes 2-3 weeks before fall ball) and one in December that leads to January (3-5 weeks). This year she didn't take the break after summer as she didn't pitch in HS due to covid. Not pitching in HS caused her to miss 150ish innings so she felt there wasn't a need for a break.
Again a lot depends on how many innings your DD has pitched and at 10 years old where she is in her learning process. If I had a 10 year old who was just learning to command the zone I'd be hesitant to take too long of a break for fear that it would be counter productive.

May 11, 2018
the off season is when a pitcher should be trying to fix mechanics and experiment. if she has an injury she should stop until everything is 100% healed. 2019 season DD (pitcher) had 16 tournaments in 18 weeks. she stopped practicing for a 1.5 months not because she was burned out, i was so sick of softball and i needed the break.

Nov 22, 2019
She’s 10 and hasn’t had more than a week in a half break over the past year.

Her summer wasn’t demanding as a #3 pitcher, but in the fall there were days she’d throw 135 pitches in 2 games as the #1. She generally throws 55-65% strikes, although there are occasional days she can get wild and that slips.

A loose follow-through and continuing to improve the change-up are the 1st two priorities this winter.

Aug 24, 2018
I think you determine the need for a break on 2 factors: how beat up physically she is and does she mentally need some time away from the grind.

My DD doesn't seem to need the mental break, but gets pretty physically beat up with her schedule.

Sounds like yours doesn't need the mental break. How is she physically? Are there any nagging injuries, does she complain of arm stiffness or soreness?

I would recommend to keep going. Take 2 weeks for Christmas (or don't). It has taken DD 2 years to get her flip change where it is without taking many breaks. If I had to do it over again, she would be throwing it while she slept.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She should definitely take two weeks off. Normally, I would say she should until after Xmas.

You have to evaluate whether pitching is something she needs during the pandemic. What will her life be like for the next few weeks if she doesn't pitch? Will she be getting enough exercise? Does she need it to keep her mind and body busy?

If you feel she needs this to keep grounded during the pandemic, then do shorter practices and stay away from "speed" work.

Do control work, some long toss, and continue working on her change.

Jun 19, 2016
At 10 years old I wouldn't take too much time off. They can get pretty wild pretty quick at that age. During the winter break I plan to give my DD a week off and then go back to at least one day a week and then ramp up as spring gets near. So my advice is slow down instead of stopping.

Apr 20, 2015
As a pediatrician and softball mom I definitely recommend time off from throwing and pitching and frankly don't care about a wild streak. I'm with sluggers on the minimum 2 weeks and would prefer 4. She's a baby in the pitching game and a baby in the skeletal maturation game so some time off now will pay off big in the future. Mine is not a pitcher but is taking 4 weeks off from hitting and throwing. Our pitchers won't throw again for at least 4 weeks either and this is a top 5 ranked 14u PGF team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
As a pediatrician and softball mom I definitely recommend time off from throwing and pitching and frankly don't care about a wild streak. I'm with sluggers on the minimum 2 weeks and would prefer 4. She's a baby in the pitching game and a baby in the skeletal maturation game so some time off now will pay off big in the future. Mine is not a pitcher but is taking 4 weeks off from hitting and throwing. Our pitchers won't throw again for at least 4 weeks either and this is a top 5 ranked 14u PGF team.

Bama shuts down all pitchers from the end of the Season until July I believe. No pitching no throwing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nov 22, 2019

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06