Pitcher hitting to many batters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
No actual ASA rule for it. As mentioned, different local organizations may have different rules, make sure you check your organization rule book. A lot of this comes from little league baseball, where many organizations do have such a rule, which tends to confuse parents/umpires, ect.

-W

Mar 15, 2010
My local rec league has a rule that an umpire may "eject" a pitcher for hitting 2 batters in an inning. She is eligible to return the next inning and the count on hitting batters starts again. Have never seen a player ejected for hitting too many batters in TB with the exception when the umpire deemed the hit intentional.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The pitcher would get 0-2 on a batter then hit them! Frustrating. She is by far our fastest pitcher but no one got hurt.

Others have answered the ejection issue, but I'm curious to know if in addition to the HBPs she also walks alot of batters. A HBP results from just 1 'wild' pitch, a walk requires 3 more! If it was 3 or 4 HBPs in game w/ few walks, in my mind I'd call her 'effectively wild' versus 'uncontrollably wild' if there also were numerous walks . You noted however that she's consistently getting ahead in the count i.e., 0 and 2, so she's got to have decent control at times. If this really is the norm, what is she doing different after getting 2 strikes? If the physical mechanics are good enough to get ahead of the hitter, then the HBPs may result from a change in mental approach i.e., overthrowing to go for a strikeout? It may be as simple as trying to get her to throw as if the count is 0-0 every pitch!

Very interesting - GM

Feb 8, 2009
Last year we played in a small roundrobin a ways from home. One of our pitchers was having control problems. She would get 0 - 2 and then plunk the batters (righty) in the leg. The umpire came over to tell me someone was going to get hurt, that I needed to do something. I told him she was going to pitch. That was the end of our conversation.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This player is really good, anyone would be lucky to have them on their Team. For some reason she needs to get in trouble and then she starts pitching better.

I do not think she is strong enough mentally yet, I hope I am wrong.

We shut her down for a few games but she pitched the last 2 innings of our season and she was dominating. The smile on her face is why I coach.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
If a pitcher is having control problems, she needs to make an adjustment. If she can't or won't and she is repeatedly walking or hitting batters she needs to be replaced. The time to learn how to make those adjustments are during practices, not during games.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If a pitcher is having control problems, she needs to make an adjustment. If she can't or won't and she is repeatedly walking or hitting batters she needs to be replaced. The time to learn how to make those adjustments are during practices, not during games.

I agree IF its a mechanical issue; however, if its a pressure or mental thing, it can only really be addressed under game conditions. Steve Sax (2B, NYY), Rick Ankiel (P, StL), and Mackey Sasser (C, NYM) are three MLBers who experienced extreme throwing issues at some point in their careers - the first persevered, the 2nd is now an OF, and the 3rd is now a college BB coach who, Wikipedia :))) reports "After experiencing difficulty throwing batting practice to his players, he was finally able to overcome the problem with help from psychotherapist..."

IJS - GM

Jul 26, 2010
I had a girl that hit a lot on 0-2. It was the last time I let a daddy call pitches for their daughter. The dad thought it would be a good time to work on her screwball.

-W

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I agree IF its a mechanical issue; however, if its a pressure or mental thing, it can only really be addressed under game conditions. Steve Sax (2B, NYY), Rick Ankiel (P, StL), and Mackey Sasser (C, NYM) are three MLBers who experienced extreme throwing issues at some point in their careers - the first persevered, the 2nd is now an OF, and the 3rd is now a college BB coach who, Wikipedia :))) reports "After experiencing difficulty throwing batting practice to his players, he was finally able to overcome the problem with help from psychotherapist..."

IJS - GM

I wonder if the parents or our organization chips in can I get one on staff? LOL!!! (Bolded by me)

ETA: Really though, you can practice pressure situations somewhat in practice. One HBP, it might of slipped; Two HBP, check to see if batters are crowding the plate; Three HBP, stick a fork in 'em they are done. . .

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I made a mistake being to verbose in my question, I just wanted to know the rule.'

She probably would not pitch for a Team yet but she is really good, not sort of good, really good. Hitting and fielding are off the charts

Her parents are currently deciding what Team/ League they want to be on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207