Pitcher hitting to many batters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The umpire told us we had to remove our pitcher because she hit too many batters. The pitcher would get 0-2 on a batter then hit them! Frustrating. She is by far our fastest pitcher but no one got hurt.

Anyways does anyone know what the rule is? Is she done for the game, do hit batters accumulate inning to inning, etc?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2010
The umpire does not have the authority to tell you to remove your pitcher for hitting batters. If it were me, I'd reply to him/her "if you're going to tell me how to coach, then I'm going to tell you what calls to make".

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I thought there was a rule, like after hitting 3 batters in a game or inning, the pitcher was done.

I could not find it so maybe I am wrong which is why I posted here. I know it is not a local rule, I know those by heart and reread them to make sure.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Local rule here in a large organization, is that she must be removed after hitting 2 batters in an inning. I believe that she can return, after the next inning.

What rule set were you playing under?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Then, no rule exists that I know of. We can let one of the umpires talk about this, if they see it.

Perhaps, the umpire felt that the HBPs were intentional.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
No way the umpire thought the HBP were intentional, I hope. You could see our pitcher getting upset.

I was OK pulling her but would like to know for sure if I had to.

Talking to my neighbor in LL Baseball, 2 hit batters then their pitcher is done for the game. Not sure if it is a local rule for them or not either.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
We have a local rule in our rec league that mandates a pitcher be removed after hitting 3 batters in an inning, but there are no "universal" rules that I am aware of. A lot of leagues have such local rules, usually at the lower age levels. I would suspect that this is either a local rule within your league, or in a neighboring league in which your umpire is involved and he got crossed up.

Jun 22, 2008
There is no rule in the ASA book that requires a pitcher to be pulled for hitting to many batters.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Great and thanks to everyone.

I thought I was missing something.

It was no big deal but I wanted to know the actual rule if it comes up again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves