Pitcher hitting to many batters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Q - Sometimes you get more than you ask for! And sometimes a simple question serves as a springboard for discussion that has nothing to do with the original question. Its always up to the individual to decide what's applicable and what's extraneous to their unique circumstances.

Most here on this forum are very well intentioned. I was just curious about why she was having trouble with 0 and 2 counts and this is where we ended up.

Best of luck to you and your pitcher! GM

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The umpire told us we had to remove our pitcher because she hit too many batters. The pitcher would get 0-2 on a batter then hit them! Frustrating. She is by far our fastest pitcher but no one got hurt.

Anyways does anyone know what the rule is? Is she done for the game, do hit batters accumulate inning to inning, etc?

As others have said in ASA there is no rule. However, there is nothing in the rule book that requires an umpire to continue a game if he/she doesn't want to do so. If the pitcher was that dangerous to the other players and umpire can just step aside and tell the coach the game doesn't move forward until there is another pitcher in the circle.

Its not something I recommend, but it can be effective.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Most here on this forum are very well intentioned

I am extremely protective of my girls, I am sorry if I came across the wrong way. I get aggressive when I should not. Personality flaw that I am working on.

Everyone on this board is great!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As the girls get older this problem will take care of itself. As you can imagine, we have discussed wild pitchers from time to time on various boards. I remember Donnie S. telling the story of an opposing pitcher hitting too many girls and his DD said to him, "you don't need to say anything, we will take care of this." She was the pitcher and quite a good one. They let the opposing pitcher have a few brush back pitches, that were as hard as the young lady could throw and no one else was hit the entire game.

My pitching DD ran into a gal in HS that hit about 10 batters also. Her team didn't do anything except run the score up pretty good. Revenge came when they met up with the young woman again during basketball season. Of course, the poor BB had no idea why her team was suddenly fouling one girl.

During pitching practice have the pitcher try pitching to pretend batters. First on the right side, then on the left, and then on both sides. But her mechanics really need to be looked at frame by frame, to see where she is messing up at.

By the way, an ump has never told me to remove a pitcher, but if it did happen, I would comply. You need to keep those guys happy. You might see them for the next several years. Plus they don't like to get hit, either.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Originally Posted by MTR
Most here on this forum are very well intentioned

I am extremely protective of my girls, I am sorry if I came across the wrong way. I get aggressive when I should not. Personality flaw that I am working on.

Everyone on this board is great!

That's great, but please do me a favor. Be careful to not attribute statements to someone who did not make them.

Thank you

Feb 24, 2010
I agree IF its a mechanical issue; however, if its a pressure or mental thing, it can only really be addressed under game conditions.

I agree that pressure/mental situations need to be addressed during a game, but there are things one can do during pitching practice to simulate pressure. One drill we do, at the end of a pitching session, is the +/- drill. Start at some number - say 5. For every strike go down one, for every ball go up one. Tell them that their pitching practice doesn't end unti they get to zero. Also have a reset point, where when the number gets too high then you start over or else the session may never end. As they get better, have the start number higher, and/or do multiple sets. There is pressure on the pitcher to get to zero quickly, since they're tired and want to end their session.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves