Pitch Tunneling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not sure you are using the same definition of tunneling, at least as how I understand it. It's not to practice throwing meatballs down the middle of the plate. The idea is for the ball to be in a tunnel as it travels to the target, then break to whatever the ultimate target is. If done well, it would make pitch identification that much more difficult for the hitter. Some major leaguers use it to great effect.

Can't you just see if the ball is moving? Why the tunnels?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
BTW - this side topics of Sports Psychology and Mental training really should be moved over to the appropriate sub-forum here so it's not interrupting the OP's original issue about pitch tunneling (which I believe is important and the closer you can make each delivery and original path of the ball look to each other the better.

Aug 21, 2008
My concern (and I suspect some others might feel similarly) is offering up our DD's as guinea pigs for some other kid who we don't know at all. I understand (and like) the concept for some types of things but not psychological issues. Call me a skeptic, I'd rather have someone with at least a bit of experience and track record probing around. I trust my college Juniors to deal with and help themselves and others but I also would be hesitant to place that same trust in some of their peers.
Ok, then don't do it. T'was just a suggestion or an idea. Albeit, an inexpensive idea to see if the world of sports psych works for your kid or not. While I sincerely doubt a college junior or senior, who's doing a group session with your daughter's team will be able to do irreversible harm to someone, I'm not unsympathetic to what you're saying. We all only want the absolute best for our kids. This was merely an idea to get the ballplayers to start thinking beyond the physical aspects of the game.

Jul 31, 2019
These were at a camp my DD attended in December and then proceeded to tell me she would like them for Christmas- my wife looked them up online and they are over 600.00 EACH. Needless to say she didn't get them.
View attachment 27319
View attachment 27320

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These are for the most part developed for pitch recognition, but I too saw this as a potential tunneling tool. I could not get past the price point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06