Pitch Tunneling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
While 'pitch tunneling' is a thing I don't know about trying to train it, there's a lot of unanswered questions. How big should the tunnel/ring be, 1ft, 1.5ft, 2ft? And how far from the pitcher should it be? Does the pitcher aim for the tunnel or at the plate with the tunnel just being there for reference?

Yeah, I almost prefer the opposite. Put something right down the middle and try to avoid it. I'm not really sure how tunnels will help much. Would be kind of fun for a while though.

Aug 21, 2008
When I was a young, aspiring pitcher, I would pitch every single day. Just trying to learn and get better. On the odd days when my brother wasn't around to catch me (and me catch him) I would go to a nearby school and either draw a box on the brick wall with chalk or I'd make one with duck tape then throw to that.

I don't believe it helped me at all. Maybe others would have a different opinion, I'm just telling you all my experience.

The idea behind this is wonderful: throw to a target. Hit your spots. The problem with it is, there are so many other factors that exist when throwing a pitch in a game. The ball, the ground conditions, the umpire, and most importantly: the adrenaline one feels ONLY in a game. This cannot be simulated. Pitchers go through highs and lows in the circle. The highs occur when a pitch moves big time and the hitter misses it completely, or a backbreaking change up that makes the hitter look silly. The lows happen after a hit, an error, a passed ball, a missed pitch by the umpire, etc. etc. etc. All of these things occur every inning, sometimes every at bat of the competition, in a game and they cannot be simulated by throwing to a stationary target.

This is why I've said 200 times, and will say 200 more: we have a million pitching coaches (good and bad) out there, a million hitting coaches, fielding coaches, etc. etc. but people only work on the physical not the mental. I cannot express enough how much a sports psych can help a pitcher. Those people can be the difference makers. The great pitchers in the world learn how to control all of these things mentally. John Smoltz from the Braves used to get hypnotized before pitching a game!

There is absolutely something to be said for getting reps in for a pitcher, and throwing to a target is better than nothing. But, unless you can figure out a way to simulate a game, where adrenaline is pumping through veins, then these things only have very minimal impact as far as I'm concerned. But, as I said, this was MY experience. I know a lot of successful pitchers (household names) put their names on pitching mats, pitching targets, and all kinds of gadgets, but that doesn't mean they actually used them. Sometimes it's just a paycheck. Anyway, that's all I got. Take it or throw it away.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
When I was a young, aspiring pitcher, I would pitch every single day. Just trying to learn and get better. On the odd days when my brother wasn't around to catch me (and me catch him) I would go to a nearby school and either draw a box on the brick wall with chalk or I'd make one with duck tape then throw to that.

I don't believe it helped me at all. Maybe others would have a different opinion, I'm just telling you all my experience.

The idea behind this is wonderful: throw to a target. Hit your spots. The problem with it is, there are so many other factors that exist when throwing a pitch in a game. The ball, the ground conditions, the umpire, and most importantly: the adrenaline one feels ONLY in a game. This cannot be simulated. Pitchers go through highs and lows in the circle. The highs occur when a pitch moves big time and the hitter misses it completely, or a backbreaking change up that makes the hitter look silly. The lows happen after a hit, an error, a passed ball, a missed pitch by the umpire, etc. etc. etc. All of these things occur every inning, sometimes every at bat of the competition, in a game and they cannot be simulated by throwing to a stationary target.

This is why I've said 200 times, and will say 200 more: we have a million pitching coaches (good and bad) out there, a million hitting coaches, fielding coaches, etc. etc. but people only work on the physical not the mental. I cannot express enough how much a sports psych can help a pitcher. Those people can be the difference makers. The great pitchers in the world learn how to control all of these things mentally. John Smoltz from the Braves used to get hypnotized before pitching a game!

There is absolutely something to be said for getting reps in for a pitcher, and throwing to a target is better than nothing. But, unless you can figure out a way to simulate a game, where adrenaline is pumping through veins, then these things only have very minimal impact as far as I'm concerned. But, as I said, this was MY experience. I know a lot of successful pitchers (household names) put their names on pitching mats, pitching targets, and all kinds of gadgets, but that doesn't mean they actually used them. Sometimes it's just a paycheck. Anyway, that's all I got. Take it or throw it away.
Bill - putting all the mechanics and physical aspects aside other than getting game reps, reading books (or other audio/visual aids) how should a parent even begin this search for a sports psych? Typically, a coach is going to be hesitant about telling a parent that their DD needs to see a head Doc (well...maybe not) and I'm guessing that most folks around the country don't have much experience with this. And then, at what age should it be considered? Too young, too old...I mean it's a tough call. I absolutely believe that the mental side of any sport is huge and being a pitcher with all that comes with it is probably harder on the pysche than most.

Can you give us some further guidance on this? For example, would you only consider an in-person consult or would on-line work? Would it be better if that Doc had actually played the sport your consulting about? Are college coaches reluctant to bring someone in to do team consults (maybe separate sessions for pitchers, catchers hitters, fielders, etc. I mean we have a "mental game discussion" sub-forum here on DFP and there have been many recommendations for books, parenting issues, etc.., that provides a lot of resources. Maybe some kind of "endorsed" list of pitching mental coaches would be a good start?

Aug 21, 2008
Bill - putting all the mechanics and physical aspects aside other than getting game reps, reading books (or other audio/visual aids) how should a parent even begin this search for a sports psych? Typically, a coach is going to be hesitant about telling a parent that their DD needs to see a head Doc (well...maybe not) and I'm guessing that most folks around the country don't have much experience with this. And then, at what age should it be considered? Too young, too old...I mean it's a tough call. I absolutely believe that the mental side of any sport is huge and being a pitcher with all that comes with it is probably harder on the pysche than most.

Can you give us some further guidance on this? For example, would you only consider an in-person consult or would on-line work? Would it be better if that Doc had actually played the sport your consulting about? Are college coaches reluctant to bring someone in to do team consults (maybe separate sessions for pitchers, catchers hitters, fielders, etc. I mean we have a "mental game discussion" sub-forum here on DFP and there have been many recommendations for books, parenting issues, etc.., that provides a lot of resources. Maybe some kind of "endorsed" list of pitching mental coaches would be a good start?
I often tell people to check with a local university and see if they offer a sports psych program. If so, email the professor and ask if his students would want to do "on the job training" with a softball team. Maybe it'd even be work for a thesis? I'm sure for $5-10 each parent chips in for a college kid would be a good deal for both.

These days, so many things that used to be "in person" are done via Zoom. You can get doctors to diagnose things and send prescriptions over the phone. A guy that I have some of my pitchers work with does both online and video sessions. One of them is a pitcher at Florida State and she absolutely swears by the help he's given her, and she does things through the computer.

Maybe the first step is to watch some short YouTube clips on things, I'm sure there is plenty of content out there. Keep the videos short to hold their attention. On average, and this is what I read somewhere but seems to be fairly accurate, we get a minute of attention span per year of age. It's not an exact thing so everyone, please spare me the messages about how your kid can lock herself into something for hours and hours. There are exceptions to every rule.

I don't know of anyone who specializes in pitching specific sports psych. I think it's all encompassing. Personally I'd try the YouTube thing, if it goes well then look into the local college thing. If that doesn't work, you'll have to do some online looking the same way you'd seek any other kind of doctor. These people are out there and can really help. I wish I had one when I was young pitcher.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I often tell people to check with a local university and see if they offer a sports psych program. If so, email the professor and ask if his students would want to do "on the job training" with a softball team. Maybe it'd even be work for a thesis? I'm sure for $5-10 each parent chips in for a college kid would be a good deal for both.
My concern (and I suspect some others might feel similarly) is offering up our DD's as guinea pigs for some other kid who we don't know at all. I understand (and like) the concept for some types of things but not psychological issues. Call me a skeptic, I'd rather have someone with at least a bit of experience and track record probing around. I trust my college Juniors to deal with and help themselves and others but I also would be hesitant to place that same trust in some of their peers.

Apr 8, 2019
Yeah, I almost prefer the opposite. Put something right down the middle and try to avoid it. I'm not really sure how tunnels will help much. Would be kind of fun for a while though.
I'm not sure you are using the same definition of tunneling, at least as how I understand it. It's not to practice throwing meatballs down the middle of the plate. The idea is for the ball to be in a tunnel as it travels to the target, then break to whatever the ultimate target is. If done well, it would make pitch identification that much more difficult for the hitter. Some major leaguers use it to great effect.

Apr 8, 2019
What book?
There are LOTS of options in this space. It can be overwhelming. A couple of books that get mentioned around here quite often are:
"Mind Gym" by Gary Mack
"Mentally Tough Teens" by Justin Su'a. Su'a has other books and resources including a quick daily podcast that is pretty good. If I'm not mistaken, he is currently the Mental Performance Coach for the TB Rays.

There are a lot of former softball players who also do mental performance coaching. A quick Google search should pull up some names in your area. In AZ, for example, Bella Loomis from ASU has both real-life experience and a degree in psych. She is great with the girls.

Amanda Scarborough includes a lot of mental performance training in her coaching. I thought this was pretty good https://www.pitching-angel.com/byob-replay

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06