Perseverance and Hard-work Pays Off

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2010
For those of you whose DD reach a plateau with pitching I would like to share my DD story:

My second year 12U DD has been pitching since her first year in 8U. She had always been above average in height, weight and strength compared to her peers and from 8U through 10U was a dominating pitcher. In her second year of 10U tournament play she became the first pitcher in our league in a 3 year span to win games at state. She went into her first year of 12U with high expectations and optimism of continuing success.

Reality, on the other hand, was much harsher. First off she was suddenly just average in height and weight and a bit below average on arm strength when compared to the older 12/13 YO players. Combine that with moving back 5 feet and the larger ball and she went from being dominating to being an average pitcher. Her cruising speed was in the 44 - 46 MPH range which just happened to be the speed range we used in the batting cages. To say she was hit is an understatement. We had two games where we were mercy ruled by the fourth inning and many games that looked a bit like batting practice. She had 10 losses which is more than the total number of games she had lost in the previous 4 years. Her pitching coach at the time kept tweaking little things and it seemed to confuse my DD more than help. For the first time ever she did not make the Gold tournament team and instead was on the Silver team. Tournament season was not much kinder and by the end of the season she was talking about dropping pitching entirely.

She took a couple of months off and when winter ball started she decided to give pitching another shot. The first thing we did was change to a pitching coach that adapted her teaching method to my daughter's natural style. My DD has a natural spin and a minor change in her grip and release point allowed her to take advantage of this spin and maximize her movement. She also worked with my DD on her stride and explosiveness off the mound. These lessons helped her understand what she needed to do but they did not replace good old fashioned practice and hard-work. This is where my DD surprised me. Over the 10 week winter ball season she pushed herself physically to become better. Under the coaches direction she built up her arm strength by training with wrist weights. She expanded her stride almost 9 inches by pushing off up hill 25 - 30 times every day. She focused on core exercises to get her whole body in on the pitch. She also started throwing 50 pitches 4 times a week outside of practices and games.

This hard-work and perseverance paid off. We played 14 games in winter ball. The first couple of games were very similar to rec season. The older players hit her like batting practice. This time, however, she did not let it beat her down. She started to implement the lessons her PC taught her. Slowly but surely her movement, speed and location improved. By the mid-point of the season the older 12U girls were hitting less often and many of the incoming 12U players could not hit her at all. The last two games of the season everything came together. She mastered her stride and release. Incorporated a change-up and drop to offset the fastball and learned to pitch with her brain and not just her arm. End result is the last two games of the season she pitched a 1 hit shut out, striking out 12 over 5 innings and a no hitter striking out 14 over 6 innings. This success did not come easy, it came through hard-work and perseverance. From practice and listening to coaches. Most importantly it came from her remembering the most important lesson her PC ever taught. MLB named the award for its best pitcher after a guy who lost the most games of any pitcher. If you can't overcome failure you will never succeed.

Closing note: Using the methods taught by her PC and the hard-work and training she performed on her own she has brought her cruising speed up to 52 - 54 with a top speed of 57.

Jan 27, 2010
Hard work and perseverance are the key to advancing to the next level as a pitcher and other areas of life. I am extremely pleased you posted on this subject. I wish that everyone that ever wanted to be a pitcher be required to read your post. So many girls believe if they attend lessons and do the minimum they can be the next Jennie Finch, Cat Osterman or Monica Abbott. Also, I appreciate the reference to pitching with her brain and not just your arm.So many girls have the physical attributes to be a pitcher, but lack the work ethic and the mental focus to be the premiere pitcher.Great Post!!!

May 5, 2008
That's such a great story! Thanks for sharing. It's actually good that your DD went through all that. It forced her to become a stronger pitcher mentally and physically and demanded that she become a smarter pitcher as well (not just rely on her "gun" which too many that are overpowering at young ages do).

Again - great story. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading it!

Mar 3, 2010
Great story... not far from my own daughters story.

Mine was always the smallest kid on the team... not buy just a small amount but some years a foot shorter than some of the girls. She was always the number two or three pitcher on her team but still kept plugging along. She started middle school as a tiny little 11yo just hoping to make the team. She did make the team but mainly because the coach just liked her... not that she was really a good enough pitcher. He allowed her to start the very first game the middle school played that year which was a non confrence game against the best team in the area loaded with 8th graders. She got hammered... it was ugly.... so he went to another 6th grade pitcher who had just moved into the area and she pitched well. My DD was now a bench warmer.... she may have pitched 4 more innings all year while the other 6th grader got all the work. She only got in a few games as a pinch runner. I could tell she was very down since several of her friends who were also 6th graders were getting tol start. But she kept cheering them on like nothing was wrong.
I just kept telling her she would get her chance again one day just be ready. It never came... the season ended and I asked her how she liked her first year of school ball. She simple said she did not want to sit the bench ever again.... I told her fine... you will just have to work harder than everyone else and earn that spot.

The next year she started 16 of 18 games and went undefeated... She wound up 40-1 as a middle school pitcher... the only loss being that one game as a 6th grader.

Now this year as a freshman she set a HS record in wins and Ks at 325 and was voted team MVP, all region team, all state team area player of the year by two different newspapers.

She could have given up as a 6th grader very easilyl.... I am very proud of her... as you can tell.

G

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
Great advice you gave your daughter.Don't ever give up or give in and be ready when your chance comes. You said it never came, but it did the next year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA