Parents holding kids back a year in school

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Big thing in the NE is reclassification. You can change their graduation year without holding them back. See it mostly with lacrosse in the NE. Kind of weird if you ask me but a lot of people do it for that. Doesn't happen so much in other sports up this way.

Yep - seeing it a lot in baseball right now. Will actually see some move to an elite private school and redo their senior year. Not sure if it’s more for the sport or to try and get the GPA up for better chances at a higher academic college. Just seems odd to me that a kid would want to repeat their senior year - but it is what it is, I guess.

If it is for athletic reasons alone then it kind of stinks - especially for boys being recruited right now. Not only do they have the kids who are already on the team staying on for a 5th year, but they also have kids a full year older (usually means bigger and stronger with boys) who they have to compete with for a roster spot.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Seen kids repeat 8th grade and attend an "Academy" for a year then start HS a year older. Mostly football/ basketball.
If your going to do this, IMO, kindergarten is the year to repeat. My DD repeated Kindergarten. We relocated and she went to a different school. She had no idea. She was smaller and we really couldn't fathom sending her off to college as a 17 year old. Our decision had nothing to do with sports.

Oct 4, 2018
My kids needed to go the other direction. Would have been amazingly bored in school if held back at all.

They have kids in their grades that are almost 2 years older. It's a bit odd.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm not gonna tell other people how to parent (though, based on what I've seen, there's not much I could say that would be worse than what parents already do), but all of this just seems really bad.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Little Johnny ( real name) had to repeat the 8th grade. The summer after his freshman yr. We had summer basketball, no Johnny? He played his freshman yr. and dad was booster president. Dad shows up one day at the end of summer basketball, surprisingly asked where’s Johnny? I’ve been dropping him off everyday? Come to find out Johnny discovered some new moves and was jumping the back wall and spending all summer with the new girl friend.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
age groups for softball is based on birth year, doesn't equate to school grades.

That's true, but an older player in HS can have a development/experience advantage. While the difference it can make with softball is arguable, it can make a big difference in sports such as football.

My kid was close to the cutoff, and she was still 4 years old when she started Kindergarten and 17 when she graduated HS. There were softball players in the same grade who were born a year earlier...a couple 15-18 months older. As it worked out, DD really didn't fully mature physically until her senior year. In that last year, she went from being a line drive hitter who could get close to fence to hitting dingers off miss-hits.

In retrospect, from a softball standpoint, it would have made a difference for her had she been held back a year. Overall, it would have been a dumb move.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom