Parents holding kids back a year in school

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
That older kid may be better developed and more capable than her peers in the same grade.

College recruiting, especially D1, is done by grade, not travel ball age level.
I know you said your kid didn't develop till Sr year but that is pretty rare for girls I would think, no? By recruiting age, wouldn't you say physically that most girls are going to be "fully developed", at least from a genetic perspective (eg not from training)?

Boys sports not so much..Heck David Robinson grew 5 inches from freshmen year in college to sophomore year.

Apr 1, 2017
That's true, but an older player in HS can have a development/experience advantage. While the difference it can make with softball is arguable, it can make a big difference in sports such as football.

I think this is what the parents doing it specifically for sports are looking at. My daughters have an early August birthday and will turn 18 maybe a week before their first college class. If we had started them a year later, that's another year of working out, practicing, maturing before heading to school. "All things being equal" (and I know they aren't), if you are a college coach, would you want an 18 or a 19 year old.

Apr 1, 2017
and I definitely think this is more of a boy thing. My brother didn't get his big growth spurt until senior year of high school

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I know you said your kid didn't develop till Sr year but that is pretty rare for girls I would think, no? By recruiting age, wouldn't you say physically that most girls are going to be "fully developed", at least from a genetic perspective (eg not from training)?

Boys sports not so much..Heck David Robinson grew 5 inches from freshmen year in college to sophomore year.

She did grow a couple of inches in HS, but wasn't so much height but size and strength. As a 14/16U, she wasn't a bean-poll, but was on the skinnier side. Her senior, year she filled out a bit and got much stronger in the legs. I know there are girls who are fully developed at 14, but DD just wasn't one of them.

This isn't that unusual. Kids can grow and get stronger through HS. An extra year of pushing weights and playing anything can make a difference in performance. Genetics can sometimes play a role.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yes, I understood. My question was do you think that is rare or typical.
I think most girls stop growing around 9th or 10th grade, but they certainly develop significantly after that age. My older daughter is a lot stronger as she enters college than she was a HS sophomore, despite the fact she's still a runt. (Don't tell her I said that...)

Jun 8, 2016
My older daughter is a lot stronger as she enters college than she was a HS sophomore, despite the fact she's still a runt. (Don't tell her I said that...)
So would that happen if she never touched a weight..that was my question, which is obviously theoretical since all kids workout now, genetically do girls typically just start sprouting more muscles (just from general sports activities) Sr year? I guess the question is when does puberty typically end for females since during this time females do see an increase in testosterone.

Edit: Looks like testosterone levels peak at around 18 or 19 for most females so there is my answer..

Edit 2: As you can see I didn't pay much attention to girls in HS, even though I had a GF (probably why she dumped me as soon as she got onto Brown's campus..)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan