Parents holding kids back a year in school

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
I had no ideal until recently that there was so many parents that elected to postpone enrolling there child in kindergarten, or having them repeat kindergarten. One team that I am familiar with has 11 players and 4 of them were held back a year. One family I know did this to all three of there kids. Not sure what the reasons were, was just kind of shocked that it was so prevalent. If it becomes much more prevalent there will be no advantage to it, as everyone will be a year older.

Jul 2, 2013
Some do this for legitimate developmental reasons (mental and/or physical), but some definitely do it for sports. It's the earliest form of redshirting. I have a couple of cousins whose parents did this. Both ended up playing college sports so maybe it works?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not new that it happens.
Just more information became available because of internet and social media talking about it.

Age brackets in softball are created so that older players can't play down. But remember younger players can always play up.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Some places have an automatic cutoff date, which is 11/30 where I live. My sister did it with her daughter because she was small and only made the cutoff by 7 days. My wife's parents pushed her up despite missing the cutoff by almost a month because they felt she was ready. Personally, I think they did it to get her out of their hair and at school, but they were horrible parents.

Jun 8, 2016
My wife's parents pushed her up despite missing the cutoff by almost a month because they felt she was ready. Personally, I think they did it to get her out of their hair and at school, but they were horrible parents.
My father missed the cutoff by over 2 months and my grandparents sent him to school...but he was the youngest of 11 kids and my grandmother probably just needed some time to herself by that point..lol.

May 27, 2022
When my son got dis-engaged and started dating again, he told me he saw several posts in dating apps that the women were looking for someone to have kids with that were D1 athletes...

Priorities, I guess.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My father missed the cutoff by over 2 months and my grandparents sent him to school...but he was the youngest of 11 kids and my grandmother probably just needed some time to herself by that point..lol.
They put her in a Catholic school kindergarten class because they'd take her, but the public schools would not. After half the year, the public school couldn't turn them away since she'd already started kindergarten, so they put her back in public school.

May 20, 2016
Big thing in the NE is reclassification. You can change their graduation year without holding them back. See it mostly with lacrosse in the NE. Kind of weird if you ask me but a lot of people do it for that. Doesn't happen so much in other sports up this way.

As per non sports related children with late fall birthdays can go either way. My oldest is a July bday so she tends to be younger than everyone in her grade. My youngest wasn't really ready for school in our opinion so she could have went to kindergarten but didn't. She did another year of preschool as her bday is very end of October. Hind site it was the right decision as she would have struggled and probably been held back.

May 27, 2022
Not uncommon to hold kids with July/August birthdays back a year for various reasons... being able to drive earlier in their school career, maturity, sports, etc.

Jul 2, 2013
Big thing in the NE is reclassification. You can change their graduation year without holding them back. See it mostly with lacrosse in the NE. Kind of weird if you ask me but a lot of people do it for that. Doesn't happen so much in other sports up this way.

You see this with high level basketball athletes now too. Of course that's all been muddied with prep schools and now NIL but reclassification still happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan