over heard at the ball field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Watching my dds HS game yesterday and a LL baseball team was standing behind the backstop waiting for the field. One of the boys says,
"I got here first and just as I got here one of the MC players hit a home run, over the fence"
Other boy "One of the girls hit a Home Run?"
first boy "Yep I seen it myself"

then they start talking about the pitching trying to decide if they could throw it that fast underhand. So they are watching and commenting a bit more when the pitcher throws a beautiful changeup.

"OMG how do you throw a change up like that?"

it was funny listening in, they got a new respect for the girls.

Jun 22, 2008
One of the boys my daughter played LL baseball with before switching to softball was giving her crap one day about how he and his friends would whoop up on her softball team any day. After listing to them banter back and forth for awhile I finally told the kid he was proposing a no win situation. First off, if they played the girls and got beat they were going to take heat from their friends for the rest of their lives because they got beat by a bunch of girls. And, if they did win, they beat a bunch of girls and how manly is that?????

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I was sitting next to some HS baseball players a few weeks ago, they kept saying Sally has some great curves. So I leaned over to instruct them those were drop balls. They laughed and said, "we weren't talking about her pitching". One of my adult friends was there ( no kid of his own playing ) he's about 6'5 275.

I told the boys that was Sally's dad and I was going to tell him they were fond of his daughter. I got up and walked over to him and said "nod your head like youre mad and look over at that group of boys". Them boys scattered like flies.

Good times at the ball field. :)

Lol...
Wish I had a dollar for every time I ran some boys off my practice! ;)

For the first couple of weeks that I coached MS, boys thought they had a right to hang out at the fence during our practices. They also thought they could just talk to Suzie through the dugout door during games etc.
I soon got the reputation as a hard case when it came to this. Because I not only ran them off, I usually did it loudly. That first year, some of the girls did not understand why it did it nor did they like it.
But word gets around (just as I intended) but there is always at least one young buck that decides he will challenge the old bald guy.
Some of the eighth grade girls came to me this year and THANKED ME for doing it. This group realizes that they work just as hard (harder in my opinion) than the baseball team at our school and that they DESERVE respect. But often you have to fight for it.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I'm impressed they had the maturity...and security, to show appreciation and respect, many teen males would never admit it even if they thought it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
But word gets around (just as I intended) but there is always at least one young buck that decides he will challenge the old bald guy.
Some of the eighth grade girls came to me this year and THANKED ME for doing it. This group realizes that they work just as hard (harder in my opinion) than the baseball team at our school and that they DESERVE respect. But often you have to fight for it.

Softball locally here does MUCH better in terms of State Finals and players heading to college than baseball. The boys High School team strut around like they are the kings early in the season but the girls are the ones heading out to play for the championships and going to the name colleges year after year. And every single girl on those teams worked extremely hard to get there.

There is not much doubt which teams now get more respect at their schools.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Very cute... DD's coach keeps a garden sprayer filled with water in the dugout - cools down the players on hot days AND keeps the boys off the fence :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl