Outfield Positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
During the MLB playoffs, I've seen managers outsmart themselves with infield shifts for LH "pull" hitters that resulted in an opposite-field grounder or dink single.

If a coach has specific knowledge of a hitter's capabilities & limitations then moving fielders can help but, generally, I agree with your thinking on this.
From what I have seen, many hitters hit differently in the MLB postseason than they do in the regular season. More willing to go oppo when the situation/pitch calls for it, more willing to lay down a bunt to beat the shift, etc. The regular season is for their next contract ;) (and I don't blame them tbh..)

May 17, 2012
Yeah, it works. We don't move a lot. A step here and step there. The RFer moving in a couple and over a few on the outside rise ball works amazingly. Pitchers have to hit spots. Outfielders should be gathering information on each swing.

Not disagreeing with anything you are saying but I would just consider that just "playing the outfield". When they talk about shifts I am thinking,

"get outs on ground balls and short line drives that wouldn’t have been achieved with the traditional alignment.".

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
They should. Doubles or better.
Of course the batter is always looking for the most productive hit.

That's why a batter who has control and situational awareness is not affected by a shift. They don't care about the shift because they know how to be productive regardless of it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This conversation is similar to a pitching strategy where some may think for a right-handed batter~
To try and take power away from the batter, or induce a miss hit grounder on say a curve...
The pitcher should keep the ball on the outside/off the plate.
*But if the batter knows how to drive the ball to right field,
* it doesn't matter that they're pitching to the outside.

💥BOOM💥

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Staying low and away on right handed batter with an occasional FB inside is a strategy that will work on many and produce many rolled over two hoppers to your SS. Good hitter practice going oppo and take that strategy away.

Jun 8, 2016
If you have enough to go on it's worth moving around.
Depends on how much you think enough is and whether your thinking is correct in terms of it actually being able to reliably represent an average result for the given scenario.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06