Outfield Positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
You're claiming that, in playoff games, the manager doesn't get to decide how to set his defense???
A lot of that is set pregame using the stats/metrics. The players might not be wearing wristbands, but they have cards in their pocket (or in their hat) that tell them where to play each hitter.

Don't get to see it on TV, because they go to commercials, but at a game when a pitching change is made, you'll often see a batboy run out to the OF and give them updated cards. I don't know if the infield uses the cards as much? Maybe it's easier to move them around from the dugout? But in most cases, it's definitely not the manager just deciding randomly to shift people around.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
A lot of that is set pregame using the stats/metrics. The players might not be wearing wristbands, but they have cards in their pocket (or in their hat) that tell them wear to play each hitter.

Don't get to see it on TV, because they go to commercials, but at a game when a pitching change is made, you'll often see a batboy run out to the OF and give them updated cards. I don't know if the infield uses the cards as much? Maybe it's easier to move them around from the dugout? But in most cases, it's definitely not the manager just deciding randomly to shift people around.
Serious stuff.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You're claiming that, in playoff games, the manager doesn't get to decide how to set his defense???

I'm claiming that in 2022, a manager who defies the analytics department when it comes to defensive alignment is probably not going to be the manager for long.

You think the manager is the one making the defensive shift cards?

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Just recalled a time back when one of my DD's was playing in HS ... Opposing batter doubles off the fence in right center ... That players next at bat the coach shades the Center Fielder into the left center gap, she triples off the fence in right center ... Her next at bat, same positioning, dinger over dead center field, 4th at bat coach moves her further into left center- triple right center ... That coach always had some interesting game strategies.

Jun 8, 2016
Just recalled a time back when one of my DD's was playing in HS ... Opposing batter doubles off the fence in right center ... That players next at bat the coach shades the Center Fielder into the left center gap, she triples off the fence in right center ... Her next at bat, same positioning, dinger over dead center field, 4th at bat coach moves her further into left center- triple right center ... That coach always had some interesting game strategies.
Well maybe he was trying to pitch her inside/outside for a RH/LH batter and the pitcher(s) kept missing her/their spot..🤷🏽‍♂️

If your pitcher is lousy you might be better off positioning your OF based upon where you think the batter will hit it if it is right down broadway 😂

Feb 24, 2022
Had that happen to my daughter in a game. First at bat she laced a triple down the left field line. Next at bat the opposing coach yells, "Pull hitter!" and puts his left fielder on the line and moves his center fielder into the left-center gap. Daughter promptly hits the next pitch into the right center gap for a double. I wish I could say that it was on purpose, but it was still funny :)

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
You think the manager is the one making the defensive shift cards?

So, you think that because the manager doesn't personally draft up the shift cards, that he's a bystander with no say or responsibility in how they're developed or how the defense executes in real time?

May 17, 2012
So, you think that because the manager doesn't personally draft up the shift cards, that he's a bystander with no say or responsibility in how they're developed or how the defense executes in real time?

I think the position of manager has changed at the major league level. A majority of the direction is coming from the front office at this point.

Jul 14, 2018
Best OF shift in fastpitch is having a CF who can go get everything...the field is pretty small ;)

The field is pretty small. We have our OFers play a few steps deeper than straightaway because it’s easier to make a catch on the run coming in than over their heads. Speedy middles get 70% of the dinkers, but we’ll take those occasional singles over balls that get past the OF. Our biggest problem is tournaments that use men’s slow pitch fields with their 300-foot fences.

We also encourage OFers to take a step while the pitch is being delivered. That step should be to the pull side on an inside pitch or oppo on an outside pitch. Other than that, the only shifting we do is against slappers as described above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45