Outfield Positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2022
Curious on thoughts folks have for positioning outfielders at the high school level. Depth (assume 225' fence), alignment, adjustments, etc. Seen some high-speed analysis in the pro-baseball world; not sure how that filtered down. But it seems a lot of common assumptions are being questioned at all levels these days. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2016
Unless you have a lot of data, like MLB, and your pitchers can hit their spots, like MLB, I often wonder if moving your OF around like I see in TB/HS is worse (on average) than having them just play straight away. Depth will often depend on situation and the ability of the OF (arm strength, how they go back on a ball,etc) and IF (how well they go get balls hit into shallow OF) more than who is hitting. JMO of course..

Last edited:

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
The biggest positioning change I do with my outfielders is for a slapper ... After that its just basic left right forward back based on what I may know about a particular hitters history, previous at bats in this game and the ability of my pitcher to hit her spots ... For the most part at the HS level, the majority are not going to catch a ball hit over their head, although I do like to have them cheat sometimes to cut off a gapper ... Sometimes blows up in my face, sometimes not. I think abandoning a field to flood another is foolish, even at the MLB level. Although, sometimes my slapper positioning will do that.

Feb 24, 2022
Aside from knowledge of a particular player (always goes opposite field, dead pull hitter, etc.), the only real adjustments we make are for a slapper (left fielder in, center shaded to left), and if we see that hitters are overpowered (shade to opposite field) or if they are all over our pitcher (shade to pull). Oh, and maybe back a few steps on a 3/4/5 hitters, maybe in a few on 8/9/10 hitters. Anything more than that is overthinking IMO.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Shift for slappers, for other batters depth adjusted to size, swing and where in the order. All outfielders know what pitch is being thrown (our pitchers hit their spots) and adjust discretely and minimally. Most movement is done by RFer on a called rise ball outside. She will come in some and over towards the line. Its amazing how many time this shift works.

Jun 8, 2016
Shift for slappers, for other batters depth adjusted to size, swing and where in the order. All outfielders know what pitch is being thrown (our pitchers hit their spots) and adjust discretely and minimally. Most movement is done by RFer on a called rise ball outside. She will come in some and over towards the line. Its amazing how many time this shift works.
Do you know that any of this actually works or are you just assuming it does??

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A batter with control and situational awareness doesn't care about the shift.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Do you know that any of this actually works or are you just assuming it does??
Yeah, it works. We don't move a lot. A step here and step there. The RFer moving in a couple and over a few on the outside rise ball works amazingly. Pitchers have to hit spots. Outfielders should be gathering information on each swing.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Unless you have a lot of data, like MLB, and your pitchers can hit their spots, like MLB, I often wonder if moving your OF around like I see in TB/HS is worse (on average) than having them just play straight away. Depth often will often depend on situation and the ability of the OF (arm strength, how they go back on a ball,etc) and IF (how well they go get balls hit into shallow OF) more than who is hitting. JMO of course..
During the MLB playoffs, I've seen managers outsmart themselves with infield shifts for LH "pull" hitters that resulted in an opposite-field grounder or dink single.

If a coach has specific knowledge of a hitter's capabilities & limitations then moving fielders can help but, generally, I agree with your thinking on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802