One sport vs playing multiple sports?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
Cincinnati, Oh.
If you have 2 similar players, I'd put my money on the multi-sport athlete. The thinking being that that player, because they have not played softball full-time, likely has a higher ceiling and is more likely to improve more once they switch to just focusing on softball than the player who has only played softball.

Sorry Greeny, I disagree. DD plays 14U. From February thru July is softball. Break in August. September - mid November is sofball. Then a break till February (with once a week practices). If she were to play 2 at the same time she most certainly would burn out; on sports in general. This provides her with good breaks and the desire to come back. Now she played multiple sports when everything was rec. But when she made the decision to play softball at a high level she knew she needed to play one.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I know what you can't do - get caught cheating on a test. DD had an opponent that thought that she was going to ASU. Allegedly she got caught taking pictures of biology tests, her junior year. She did end up at a major university, but didn't last long.

Sometimes, it takes more than being a top pitcher in the state. Dad was driving her several hours, to a top TB team and she threw it all away.

She thew "it" all away which included all the hard work and money her dad (or parents) expended.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
DD just finished her freshman year of high school. She maintained a 4.0 GPA Made first team all-State at 3rd base along with several other all whatever teams in softball. She started varsity basketball earned MVP of a tournament they made a deep run in the state playoffs. She plays for a big org and is committed to softball all year, but she says she loves to play basketball in the winter cause it gives her a chance to compete and be competitive. I think it recharges her battery. She played tennis, basketball, softball, and soccer in middle school but cut the other sports once she got in high school. The college coaches we've talked with love her athleticism and that she plays multi sports. I think that the other sports have helped her and help her versatility she can play any infield position and outfield positions. She has college offers from some good schools and I think playing multiple sports have helped her tremendously.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
DD just finished her freshman year of high school. She maintained a 4.0 GPA Made first team all-State at 3rd base along with several other all whatever teams in softball. She started varsity basketball earned MVP of a tournament they made a deep run in the state playoffs. She plays for a big org and is committed to softball all year, but she says she loves to play basketball in the winter cause it gives her a chance to compete and be competitive. I think it recharges her battery. She played tennis, basketball, softball, and soccer in middle school but cut the other sports once she got in high school. The college coaches we've talked with love her athleticism and that she plays multi sports. I think that the other sports have helped her and help her versatility she can play any infield position and outfield positions. She has college offers from some good schools and I think playing multiple sports have helped her tremendously.

Ok. So pretend for a minute that she only played softball yet had the exact same skill set. Do you agree with the other posters that the college coaches would look down on her and have less interest in her as a softball player? Or is it possible that they are primarily concerned with her softball and academic skills and could care less how she acquired them?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Ok. So pretend for a minute that she only played softball yet had the exact same skill set. Do you agree with the other posters that the college coaches would look down on her and have less interest in her as a softball player? Or is it possible that they are primarily concerned with her softball and academic skills and could care less how she acquired them?

Show me a post where anyone said coaches "look down" on any kid.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Talk to any college coach and they are looking for kids that are well rounded and play other sports. They frown on those that only play one sport.

Show me a post where anyone said coaches "look down" on any kid.

Per your request here is one direct comment. However, other posts have a similar message that a multi-sport athlete is somehow favored over a single sport athlete simply on the merits of said participation. Assume "frown on" equates to "look down".

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2012

Every college coach is different, but I think when a college coach compares these 2 hypothetical kids. Both have equal softball skills, but one kid is accomplished at another sport. The college coach is probably going to choose the multi-sport kid. I'll tell you why. They will have an impression that this athlete is more versatile and athletic and as a result will have more upside once they go through the coach's training program. Coaches arent always recruiting to where the kid is at as a Sophmore or Junior in high school, but where they will be as a upper classman in college.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Per your request here is one direct comment. However, other posts have a similar message that a multi-sport athlete is somehow favored over a single sport athlete simply on the merits of said participation. Assume "frown on" equates to "look down".

I'll give you that one.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Every college coach is different, but I think when a college coach compares these 2 hypothetical kids. Both have equal softball skills, but one kid is accomplished at another sport. The college coach is probably going to choose the multi-sport kid. I'll tell you why. They will have an impression that this athlete is more versatile and athletic and as a result will have more upside once they go through the coach's training program. Coaches arent always recruiting to where the kid is at as a Sophmore or Junior in high school, but where they will be as a upper classman in college.

Yes. I agree with you. All things equal pick the multi-sport athlete. However, in the real world things are rarely equal and how often do you think one athlete is selected over another due to the fact that they are a multi-sport athlete? Granted from time to time it may end up becoming a contributing factor in the selection of a recruit. But to assert that coaches favor and seek out multi-sport athletes simply based on participation is ridiculous. More often than not many other factors will tip the balance one way or the other well before a coach starts considering multi-sport participation. In the long list of selection criteria the participation in multiple sports without regard to athletic skill, which has already been evaluated is way down on the list.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44