Ok to bring up at plate meeting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2019
I had a pitcher that threw this pitch and this was my experience.

It was rare that an umpire was aware of this type of pitch and that it was legal. Most of the time the game was stopped so the umpires could confer. Sometimes the tournament director was brought in...sometimes they ruled it was illegal. At a certain point in the season our parents knew the pitch was legal and would start chirping at the umpire immediately that it was legal once the pitch was thrown. Arguments would ensue in the stands between our parents and their parents. It just wasn't worth the drama.

What I hated the most was how it disrupted the flow of the game. Some of the umpire delays were lengthy and it just wasn't worth it in the end. She only threw the pitch once or twice a game in certain situations and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

I would not advise bringing this up pregame because ultimately some coaches would protest/argue anyways once the pitch was thrown and the umpires generally don't like you brining a rulebook to the pregame meeting. When playing in tournament games you are always on the clock and it just wasn't worth constantly arguing about (knowing you were always in the right).
Yea that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I hate how it sometimes disrupts the flow of the game. I would never walk up to the plate meeting with rulebook in hand - I just thought if it was mentioned ahead of time it would give either the opposing coach or umpire the more private chance to get clarification rather than in the heat of the moment. Keeps the crowd out of it as well.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Yeah..don't bring the rulebook out at all. In this case just ask if slingshot is legal or not before the game...Added bonus is if they have no idea what it is you should have a good idea how the rest of the game will go and you can prepare yourself... :LOL:

If the question is: "Hey Blue, is the slingshot legal?", the answer should not be "yes', it should be "any motion that meets the criteria for a legal delivery is legal." because a) your definition of "slingshot" could mean 100 different things and b) she could deliver the slingshot pitch while still doing something illegal

Jun 8, 2016
If the question is: "Hey Blue, is the slingshot legal?", the answer should not be "yes', it should be "any motion that meets the criteria for a legal delivery is legal." because a) your definition of "slingshot" could mean 100 different things and b) she could deliver the slingshot pitch while still doing something illegal
If you say so..The only thing I know about softball pitching is that it annoys me when DD cannot hit it.

I don't coach (I barely even watch) and my kid doesn't pitch so I don't really care one way or the other 🤷‍♂️

Main point was don't bring out the rule book...

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
I would talk to the umpire during the pitcher warm up. Just walk over there and have the discussion then. No point in bringing in the other coach, have the pitcher throw it, umpire see it, he says it's good and then if the other coach questions it, we have already discussed.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The plate meeting is absolutely meant to be the time you are meant to bring up something like this. "I have a pitcher who throws using the slingshot motion. Are you familiar with this motion being legal?" or similar. You get me as an umpire - you are all good - but I am not going to pretend that every umpire out there knows this or has seen it. If there is a need for clarification, then this is a good time to get it. If you need to get the UIC or Site Director involved, before the game starts is a good time to do so.

Don't bring a rule book out.

If there is a UIC or a site director, I am also not opposed to you letting the UIC/site director know as well before your first game. This is an acceptable time to bring a rule book out if needed and the good ones will probably get the word out to the umpires.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Personally, I would approach the umpire during warm-ups casually letting them know I have a pitcher who throws a slingshot pitch in certain situations, so just beware we may have some opposing coaches and fans going nuts-o about illegal pitches because they are caught off guard and may not know what they just saw. Mention your pitcher is trained to not swing the arm around for a full circle after the pitch to keep it legal.
This will help the umpire not be caught off guard, show you know something about pitching rules, and get a feel for what the umpire knows/allows regarding slingshots. I would not have this conversation during the home plate meeting; I don't want the opposing team knowing what's coming.

May 15, 2019
Thanks everyone! I like the idea of bringing it up during warm ups with the umpires. That seems less confrontational than at the plate and if the umpire is unfamiliar with it we have more time to discuss or call over the UIC or SD.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks everyone! I like the idea of bringing it up during warm ups with the umpires. That seems less confrontational than at the plate and if the umpire is unfamiliar with it we have more time to discuss or call over the UIC or SD.
Don't do it then. You are already on the clock and they are not going to stop it for a conversation if something needs to be cleared up. I only stop the clock for protests (once the fee is paid), weather and major injuries.

May 15, 2019
Don't do it then. You are already on the clock and they are not going to stop it for a conversation if something needs to be cleared up. I only stop the clock for protests (once the fee is paid) and major injuries.
Oh that's a good point! I wasn't thinking about the clock running. This is why I like to run these questions through you guys. We will go with the plate meeting. I'm just trying to find the best way to be able to use the pitch when we want without causing a delay or disrupt the flow of the game. We don't use it a lot but it's a handy little pitch to have in the back pocket if needed! I'm not really concerned about the other coach learning about it ahead of time - after the first one he knows about it anyway ;). If he is told at the plate meeting it is coming he may be less likely to challenge it - hopefully?!

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
The plate meeting is absolutely meant to be the time you are meant to bring up something like this. "I have a pitcher who throws using the slingshot motion. Are you familiar with this motion being legal?" or similar. You get me as an umpire - you are all good - but I am not going to pretend that every umpire out there knows this or has seen it. If there is a need for clarification, then this is a good time to get it. If you need to get the UIC or Site Director involved, before the game starts is a good time to do so.

Don't bring a rule book out.

If there is a UIC or a site director, I am also not opposed to you letting the UIC/site director know as well before your first game. This is an acceptable time to bring a rule book out if needed and the good ones will probably get the word out to the umpires.
This is the perfect way to bring it up. If the ump had any doubt about it or wasnt familiar with it, it automatically has him thinking about it as actually being legal. Great sales tactic there ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors