Odd Softball Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I try to avoid a bunch of rules, so I find all of these odd. I encourage mp3 use and am trying to get my pitchers to use their's, currently. So, I may have to make a rule - get your music in your ear, now! (I point out that many olympians have their music on (or whatever they listen to), right up until the last second.

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
GD,

Regardless of cleanliness, boyfriends on or near the softball field are stinking boyfriends. Some boyfriends are stinking always and forever.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
My three basic rules:

• Have fun!
• Play hard
• No boys at practices or games (no cells/texting)

At my initial team meeting, I passed this out along with my longer list of regular rules. About 3/4's through my monologue, I looked over at one of the girls. She had my rules folded with a flap sticking upward and both hands holding it. It was shaking and her eyes were fixed on it. I stopped and asked if she was texting. She looked up in shock and slowly put the thing in her pocket. I picked up my basic rules and re-read them aloud. I told her that this time she was getting a break because I didn't specify no texting at the meeting, but that next time that phone was mine. (In retrospect, it would have been a great chance to see how many push ups a girl could do in front of her new team and their parents!)

I have broken that rule and used it as an incentive. I'd lined the team up for a conditioning drill and right before starting them, I told them the winner would be able to check her phone during a water break at the next practice. I don't think I've ever seen a group of girls work so hard!

Oct 22, 2009
Carry your own equipment
No swimming/hot tubs before games or practice
Run with your glove on
No cheese before the game
Leave the dugout with trash in your hands.

I was a coach before the every kid has a cell phone age , so I had no cell phone rules, but I did catch one of my high school pitching students running laps at her team practice while TEXTING!

Feb 1, 2010
Midwest
15 minutes early is Right on Time! 14 minutes early is Late!
Carry your own bag!
Leave the dugout with more than you arrived with...including dust, dirt and chalk!

Jan 25, 2010
do not show up at a practice or game with your dinner - i'm amazed how many parents think its ok to slam down a double cheeseburger meal then go run for two hours. no running over to give mom/dad/grandma a hug once the game starts. in the dugout, ready to go when needed.

Jan 25, 2010
i forgot my favorite...no jeans! i don't understand why it's so hard for a 10YO to remember to put on a pair of sweats or athletic shorts before coming to practice. is that asking too much?!?

Oct 22, 2009
i forgot my favorite...no jeans! i don't understand why it's so hard for a 10YO to remember to put on a pair of sweats or athletic shorts before coming to practice. is that asking too much?!?

I had one show up to pitching with a skirt and heels, I cannot tell you how many times they showed up in flip flops!

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Players
• Respect your teammates, coaches, opponents, umpires, parents & players.
• No bad language.
• Remember the 30 minute/24 hour rule.
• Respect your equipment (do not throw helmet or glove in frustration) Hang bat bags, in order, in line and evenly. Your equipment goes in your bag when not using.
• Run on/off field (no walking on the field) during practices and games.
• Remain in the dugout during games/practices.
• Wear you uniform correctly, jersey tucked in ALWAYS.
• Focus on game before every pitch.
• Be on time, attendance is important. Call the coach if you can’t make it to practices, are going to be late, or know in advance of conflicts with practices or tournaments.
• If you are sick or injured, let coach know immediately. You may be required to bring a doctor’s release to participate. If you are sick, please stay home.
• Help with equipment (you use the equipment, you should carry it) clean up dugout after games.
• Never give up; Don’t say I can’t; Have a can do attitude.
• Eat healthy, drink plenty of water.
• Take your cleats and socks off between games.
• No jewelry, wrist bands, etc. during games or practices.
• Hair must be tied back.
• Appropriate practice attire, players will get dirty!
• Remember that you are representing the team when at tournaments at a hotel and even away from the field, act accordingly.
• Learn from your mistakes. Never be afraid to ask questions. Feel free to ask questions during the game and practices.
• Have Fun and Smile.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2010
I had one show up to pitching with a skirt and heels, I cannot tell you how many times they showed up in flip flops!

i have sent a girl home 3 times all ready this year for not wearing proper practice clothes. i had to threaten her with a suspension finally. harsh, i know. but at least i'm fair...i suspended my own kid...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid