Odd Softball Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
So....do any of you guys know of "Odd Softball Rules?"
I say this because my Asst. Coach and I were talking about stuff today, and I threw out a rule I have and...she laughed!!!

What was the rule? "Don't ever let me catch you showing up at a game or practice with your mom or dad carrying your equipment!"

Why'd she laugh? She carries her daughter's equipment....although I think THAT won't happen again!

Any other's out there?

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
I don't know if I would consider it odd but I don't allow the girls to swim the day of a game. The girls don't realize how draining the hot sun and swimming are and the fact that chlorine messes up your eyes.

-Tom

Jul 28, 2008
I don't know if I would consider it odd but I don't allow the girls to swim the day of a game. The girls don't realize how draining the hot sun and swimming are and the fact that chlorine messes up your eyes.

-Tom

I learned that one last year. I went ahead, against my own good judgement, and let the girls swim a bit in the morning. We were already in the NSA state championship game and were waiting for the other teams to play it out to see who we faced. The girls were lethargic and on their heels. We won the game, but just barely. I won't be doing that again. :)

Mar 1, 2010
Hear is my list, the girls find these odd (some say restrictive) but they are there for a reason.

1. Water, sugar free Gatorade or similar sugar free flavored drink (i.e. Crystal Light) only in the dugout, no soda or energy drinks. Same as the swimming examples above, soda/energy give a rush and then the crash.
2. Equipment bags are hung in the same order as the batting lineup.
3. Helmets are worn at all times batting stations are being run, even if you are shagging balls. Had an incident years ago where a girl chasing a stray whiffle got hit in the head with a RIF that was hit over the soft pitch station net.
4. Even now that they are 14U the girls must go in pairs when they leave the field to go to the bathroom or snack shack. As the recent events in my area have proven there are predators out there targeting our kids.
5. And my most important rule of all comes from Chuck Tanner with a slight change: The greatest feeling in the world is to win a softball game. The second-greatest feeling is to lose a softball game.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
(A) After a tournament begins, the coaches never touch the team equipment.
(B) Dugouts are left CLEANER than when we entered them.

Jul 28, 2008
Batting helmets are on when we are up to bat, regardless of where you are in the order. Exceptions granted to pitcher and catcher on warm days.

I'm liking the list that's been posted. I'll have to adopt some of these.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
No cell phones, ipods etc. in the dugout unless power is off.
All needed equipment out of the bag when we occupy dugout, this
alleviates rushing around to find batting gloves etc.
No food in the dugout with the exception of seeds.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
A lot of y'all are making the teams I've played on and the ones I've helped with look mild. I've been told I'm rather harsh. Bad throws=punishment later. That's a rule. No electronics in dug out, no parents in dug out, no food in dug out, be on time if not EARLY.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I know it is rare, but what if they are recently bathed, relatively fresh and don't stink? :)