noise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
But most of the umpires don't acknowledge the fans, unless it really is called for—which is a good thing in the long run.

You are correct, as an umpire I typically do not acknowledge fans, unless I believe it is interfering with the game. Your original description sounded as if it did by calling balls or strikes on each pitch. If I'm that plate umpire, I will likely stop that immediately. If you are now saying it's not that big of a deal, then it probably wasn't and your first post was more of a venting.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Only time in the last 10 year s I yelled at an umpire was when they made a terrible call and was trying to explain it to our out of control parents. Told the umpire to get back to the game, yelled at the parents to sit down and shut up. :)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If I'm the plate umpire, I will stop it. Cheering, singing, etc is fine, heck, even yell at me while I'm calling I don't mind, I hear it all the time anyway, but verbally calling balls or strikes is a whole other matter. Which is what my answer was to originally, not the OP, but the person who posted about the person calling balls and strikes. Without being there, it's obviously hard to determine the level of involvment, etc, but based on the description, it sounds like it would have been an issue. Is the description accurate? Who knows, but that's what I based my answer upon.

So, there's your answer, I would.

Now you can begin your arguments about why your opinion of my opinion is wrong.

What provides you the authority over someone not on a team? My "opinion" isn't of your opinion or anyone else's, it is of what is in the rule book, manual, clinic guides or case book, or maybe I should say not in any of them. Even in

In my 45 years of umpiring, I have found that many lines get blurred when people start making up things because that is how they believe or someone convinces them that is how it should be.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
In your 45 years of umpiring, I would be surprised if you haven't had to speak with a fan/spectator regarding their behavior in relation to interruption of the game. If that's the case, you surely have had a great 45 years, and I can only hope that if I officiate the game for 45 years, I can make the same claim.

I interpreted the post originally that the fan was interfering with the game by calling balls or strikes along with the PU. It doesn't sound like that is the case after they posted again and I stated as much. My original interpretation was based on the post description and I made it clear that was the case.

Either way, the authority is with the PU to stop any behavior that they interpret as interfering, you'll have to agree with that. If you don't, I can certainly point out where in the ASA rulebook it states exactly that. So there is no "blurring" involved. It's a judgment call, plain and simple.

I always want a nice, easy game to officiate. I know I won't get it, but that's what I want. I don't step on the field to listen to myself, or to collect a few extra bucks (although it's nice to have), I step on the field to give to the game and the girls playing it. Say whatever you like about that.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In your 45 years of umpiring, I would be surprised if you haven't had to speak with a fan/spectator regarding their behavior in relation to interruption of the game. If that's the case, you surely have had a great 45 years, and I can only hope that if I officiate the game for 45 years, I can make the same claim.

I interpreted the post originally that the fan was interfering with the game by calling balls or strikes along with the PU. It doesn't sound like that is the case after they posted again and I stated as much. My original interpretation was based on the post description and I made it clear that was the case.

Either way, the authority is with the PU to stop any behavior that they interpret as interfering, you'll have to agree with that. If you don't, I can certainly point out where in the ASA rulebook it states exactly that. So there is no "blurring" involved. It's a judgment call, plain and simple.

I always want a nice, easy game to officiate. I know I won't get it, but that's what I want. I don't step on the field to listen to myself, or to collect a few extra bucks (although it's nice to have), I step on the field to give to the game and the girls playing it. Say whatever you like about that.

IF there is a problem with the spectators, I ask the coaches to handle it as I do not have the authority to do so unless that person is a member of the team. Even in HS, the umpire is to go to the site coordinator, not the spectator. NCAA also insists upon school officials to deal with spectators.

To me, the idiot fan is entertainment and I really don't care what they have to say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors