noise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Most umps won't allow anyone to stand behind home and say anything let alone just be an observer. I'm surprised he didn't tell her to scoot.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
we had a game where a mom was behind backstop telegraphing
catcher glove location ("pitch is coming inside" etc) to the batters.
She and the coach spent the afternoon in the parking lot.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
We had an important game this year with the conference standings at stake. A player from another team (not the two playing) favored one of the two playing over the other as they would have been tied for first if the one team won. Sitting behind the fence at home plate she kept yelling "strike" very loudly on every pitch. It was obvious the umpire was displeased. Really close calls were being called "balls". The umpire may not have been influenced but I believe she was.

I am surprised this individual was allowed to continue this, based on your description.

Aug 10, 2010
Why are girls taught to yell all game? Coaches teach this rude annoying behavior. I always taught the girls to play hard and win with good play. If the other team makes more mistakes then us then we played better and deserved to win.period. The young girls want to sing little songs and yell n scream either because they watch the College girls do it or because they r little girls and are trying to distract the opposite team players. Do not expect to be treated as equal as men until you stop acting like screaming little girls. Let's win with good sportsmanship and good play, instead of the annoying act of trying to distract.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We have had 4 9 year olds over since last night, about to kick them out to go to our game. They make a lot of noise because well, they are having a good time. I have a headache. :)

Nothing needs to be unsportsmanlike about players making noise.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Who was going to stop it?

If I'm the plate umpire, I will stop it. Cheering, singing, etc is fine, heck, even yell at me while I'm calling I don't mind, I hear it all the time anyway, but verbally calling balls or strikes is a whole other matter. Which is what my answer was to originally, not the OP, but the person who posted about the person calling balls and strikes. Without being there, it's obviously hard to determine the level of involvment, etc, but based on the description, it sounds like it would have been an issue. Is the description accurate? Who knows, but that's what I based my answer upon.

So, there's your answer, I would.

Now you can begin your arguments about why your opinion of my opinion is wrong.

Mar 13, 2010
I've also seen umpires stop the oppisiton from doing a chant right when the pitcher is through the motion. The 'wooooOOOOOOOOOooooo' one.

Oct 25, 2009
I am surprised this individual was allowed to continue this, based on your description.

It didn't last but a couple innings. They were yelling "strike" on every pitch. If it had been one of our fans we would have stopped it. Trying to control the other fans could create a worse situation.

The fan was in the bleachers. It was a player from another team. If the umpire had told her to stop she would have. But most of the umpires don't acknowledge the fans, unless it really is called for—which is a good thing in the long run.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
No rule so unfortunately part of the game. Which when you DD is 13 as is mine, it will have no effect as they listen to no one!!!!

In all seriousness, we do practice focus for just such parents/dugouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207