New rule proposal!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was not a slapper. P struck out arguable our best 2 hitters with 7 pitches. Great DD is up now, she is down 0-2 after 2 pitches. It was so fun, it became a battle of wills. DD started fouling strikes off, the entire crowd gasped when she let a ball go seeing what the umpire would call. She ended up breaking the game wide open for us with a simple walk in a 14 pitch at bat.

Way too many rules in SB already, we do not need anymore.

Jul 22, 2015
Used to love watching pitchers/coaches get frustrated with my dd (slapper) while she fouled off pitch after pitch to stay in an at bat. During one fall league game a coach finally asked her what she wanted to hit. She told him a screwball, which she promptly hit through the 5-6 hole. I think they were thrilled to just end the seemingly endless at bat.

May 13, 2023
DD was not a slapper. P struck out arguable our best 2 hitters with 7 pitches. Great DD is up now, she is down 0-2 after 2 pitches. It was so fun, it became a battle of wills. DD started fouling strikes off, the entire crowd gasped when she let a ball go seeing what the umpire would call. She ended up breaking the game wide open for us with a simple walk in a 14 pitch at bat.

Way too many rules in SB already, we do not need anymore.
✔️🎉👍💥

Jan 22, 2011
You have to go up and in on them at some point.
Yeah, but when a 60mph inside riseball gave her a concussion that took her almost three months to be fully cleared to return to play, it wasn't good. Long story short, it was her 3rd diagnosed concussion and likely her 4th or 5th. Since the new high school coach didn't seem concerned about concussions or other injuries, she hung up the cleats after a couple of games last spring. Oxford has a study showing after three even mild concussions, the risk of long-term effects rises significantly. My DD knew she wasn't going to make a living playing softball.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Yeah, but when a 60mph inside riseball gave her a concussion that took her almost three months to be fully cleared to return to play, it wasn't good. Long story short, it was her 3rd diagnosed concussion and likely her 4th or 5th. Since the new high school coach didn't seem concerned about concussions or other injuries, she hung up the cleats after a couple of games last spring. Oxford has a study showing after three even mild concussions, the risk of long-term effects rises significantly. My DD knew she wasn't going to make a living playing softball.

Happened to my dd this past college season. Up and in pitch (she’s a slapper) actually somehow got her right forearm (pitching arm) and she was down for about 2 weeks after a great start during spring break. Came back and her pitching still suffered for a few more weeks due to the swelling her forearm sustained. Her hand would go numb when trying to grip the ball. Luckily it didn’t hit her in the head like your dd. I don’t think it was on purpose as the pitcher was having control issues with her curve, but it still sucked.

I know it wasn’t suggested seriously (I hope) but just because a player is fouling off a lot of pitches is never a reason to hit them next at-bat. That’s just BS.

May 29, 2015
That is probably why when my DD lead off a game with an 11-pitch walk, she was HPB first pitch the next at bat.

I hate to like this . . . and the up and in comment is part of why. As a pitcher, I can live with that strategy. As an adult, I struggle.

May 29, 2015
If this is open season for proposals, I'll break out one of my old ones . . .

In a timed tournament game, once the time limit expires, the run rule is "drop dead" applicable. In other words, if you are the home team and down by the prescribed run rule, you don't get to keep dragging this out. If you are the visitors, sorry you didn't rally sooner.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Gotta be fair rule. When the batter has two strikes she is allowed 3 foul balls. After 3 foul balls any batted ball must be hit in fair territory. Any ball hit in foul territory will be considered as strike three.
Who's with me? Played a team with 5 slappers. Some of their ABs were 13 plus pitches. Puts you and your fielders to sleep. Game lasted forever. It's for the better good of the game. Lol

How about the opposite of your rule? If the pitcher can't get the batter out after 10 pitches. The batter gets to throw the ball up in the air and hit the ball where ever she wants. Basically gets to fungo the ball. If she hits the ball foul during the fungo she would be out.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Sorry to hear that. Up and in does not equal intentionally hitting someone. I have never nor would I ever ask a pitcher to bean a batter. Never. But I do know coaches that will bean the opposition pitcher if she is batting. Low budget.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles