New Bat for my youngest DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
She's a beginner, 7 years old having never played T-ball or anything. She sees her sister with all of her own stuff and wants a bat for Christmas. She's small, 47" and 45 lbs. I'm thinking of starting her off with a 16 oz bat, maybe a -10 or a -11, and something inexpensive for obvious reasons. Oh, and she digs purple. =)

hitrunscore.com has a Demarini -10 Cat fastpitch 26/16 bat for 23.99 and an Easton Synergy (not a REAL Synergy obviously, just using the name on a cheaper bat marketing purposes) 27/16 bat for 29.99

DeMarini Cat -10 Fastpitch Tee Ball Bat, DeMarini Cat -10 Softball Youth Tee Ball Bat, 2011

Easton Synergy -11 Fastpitch Softball Bat, Easton Synergy Fastpitch Bat -11

Think one or other of these is fine or have another recommendation?

My oldest (10) needs a new bat as well. She has been using a relatively inexpensive Easton Reflex 29/17 for a year and want to move her up to 30/18. She likes the Louisville Slugger TPS Zephyr which is 129.99. Anyone know anything about this bat? It would be our first composite. Not quite ready to spend $200 on a bat for her.

Louisville Slugger TPS Zephyr -12 Composite Fastpitch Softball Bat

Thanks. Have I told all of you guys and gals lately how great you are? =)

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
My DD used the DeMarini Cat bat (2008 model) as an 8 to 9yo and it was just fine for her. It was used by a new 12u girl last year and is pressed into service again with another 12u girl this year. 4 years and 3 players on a 30 dollar bat. No complaints here. I think the bat would be just fine in the correct size for your DD to learn good swing mechanics with. The other big advantage of those bats is they are cheap enough you don't feel bad when they get out grown you can be generous and just hand it to a kid that needs it.

The Synergy aluminums or the Zephyr I have no experience with so won't comment.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
she digs purple

That is how we picked our bat at that age except ours was pink. :) We have used the Easton Synergy bat you mention above and it worked great for us.

At that young of age you just want to get something that is cheap, she likes the look of, and most importantly properly sized.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Wow! I would like to be at your house Christmas morning. By the way, I would like a Finch Windmill. :)

I hear good things about the Cat bat. Also, I sold an Easton Synergy to a little girl last summer and it got stolen! I guess someone thought that a 10 YO was using a real Synergy in Little League.

I just bought an Easton Clarity, 30 inches and 20 ounces on Ebay for $75.00 + shipping. It hasn't arrived, yet. As strong as you say your oldest is, I would just teach her to swing a -10.

Sep 3, 2009
Wow! I would like to be at your house Christmas morning. By the way, I would like a Finch Windmill. :)

I hear good things about the Cat bat. Also, I sold an Easton Synergy to a little girl last summer and it got stolen! I guess someone thought that a 10 YO was using a real Synergy in Little League.

I just bought an Easton Clarity, 30 inches and 20 ounces on Ebay for $75.00 + shipping. It hasn't arrived, yet. As strong as you say your oldest is, I would just teach her to swing a -10.

Hah....better softball and soccer stuff then video games, that's for sure! They'll both still get a game each for their nintendo DS's, and probably a Wii game for both of them, but it's so much more fun to shop for softball equipment and even better when they are excited about getting it.

DD 10 is strong for her size, but she's still a squirt with skinny arms. I have to say though that I don't really understand the advantages and disadvantages of using -12's or -10's. I understand what the numbers mean, I just don't know what is typically recommended.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
We didn't do composite until 11 years old..
my girls started out with the Mizuno Jennie Finch pink aluminum bats ... still have them, still in great condition (my 6 year old is using the smaller of the two now.
Then we went with the purple Osterman Demarini .. this has to be 5 years old and my 12 year still uses and loves this bata ...extremely high use bat that is still in great condition.

We have two Zephyr's .. light blue and lime green. Both our "cold weather" share with team members type bats ... they were pretty cheap (both under $125). Light blue broke at handle and was warranty replaced ... other than that they have been good bats.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Think of the bat as a hammer, 10 ounces, 16 ounces, 20 ounces, etc. You would choose one depending on the job, nail, etc., but wouldn't go too light. I just prefer to teach the girls hitting and having them use a -10 bat. I personally don't like the lighter bats, but it is just my own preference.

Sep 3, 2009
She's a beginner, 7 years old having never played T-ball or anything. She sees her sister with all of her own stuff and wants a bat for Christmas. She's small, 47" and 45 lbs. I'm thinking of starting her off with a 16 oz bat, maybe a -10 or a -11, and something inexpensive for obvious reasons. Oh, and she digs purple. =)

hitrunscore.com has a Demarini -10 Cat fastpitch 26/16 bat for 23.99 and an Easton Synergy (not a REAL Synergy obviously, just using the name on a cheaper bat marketing purposes) 27/16 bat for 29.99

DeMarini Cat -10 Fastpitch Tee Ball Bat, DeMarini Cat -10 Softball Youth Tee Ball Bat, 2011

Easton Synergy -11 Fastpitch Softball Bat, Easton Synergy Fastpitch Bat -11

Think one or other of these is fine or have another recommendation?

My oldest (10) needs a new bat as well. She has been using a relatively inexpensive Easton Reflex 29/17 for a year and want to move her up to 30/18. She likes the Louisville Slugger TPS Zephyr which is 129.99. Anyone know anything about this bat? It would be our first composite. Not quite ready to spend $200 on a bat for her.

Louisville Slugger TPS Zephyr -12 Composite Fastpitch Softball Bat

Thanks. Have I told all of you guys and gals lately how great you are? =)

Okay, ordering the Zephyr for my DD10 but still unsure on the cheaper one for my DD7. Based on seeing her swing my oldest's old 17/17, I'm convinced that she would be better with a 16 or 16.5 oz. like the two that I had previously mentioned, both of which seem to be decent recommends for a cheap beginners bat.
Just wondering what everyone thinks is the ideal length for her size. I see -10, -11, and even -12 bats at 16 ounces. Again, she's 47" tall and 45 lbs.
I looked at a bat sizing chart online and it indicated a 28" bat for her which was longer than I had originally planned. Any last advice out there?

Thanks gang!

Jul 25, 2010
Ohio
One option you might look at is the TPS Mendozza for the 10 year old. My DD has used one for a couple of years. It was her primary bat until we bought a new Catalyst, then a CF4 Black. Now it's her cold weather bat. At less than $100 new, it has performed very well.

My other DD plays T-Ball (47" tall, 48 lbs) and we picked up a Worth Freedom 26" -12 bat which she really liked. It is purple as well.

Worth Freedom T-Ball bat

I'd suggest going to justbats.com and using their Bat Wizard. For our daughters' size they recommend a 26" bat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd