need some advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DD which is 13 playing 14u tb, always been a good hitter with a lot of power, but this year she's struggling, shes hitting or I should say shes making contact with the ball pretty much everytime she K's about 10% but shes hitting fly outs or pop ups Id say 60% of the time she's been video'd and looked at by a college hitting coach he says everything looks good her swing,her extension etc and she rips the ball in the cage. but come game time its a different story. she uses a mako zero 33/23 for a bat. anyway we have been practicing having her to try and just hit on top of the ball to try and work it out good idea or bad? and someone else suggested mabey a heavier bat? any suggestions are welcomed. thanks b4hand

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not sure how a heavier bat will help, but if you are looking for "quick fixes" have her eyes checked. I keep hoping that a pair of contacts will turn my DD into a HR hitting machine but her vision keeps testing normal.....maybe I need a new eye doctor!

Aug 20, 2013
Since you mentioned having her hit "on top" of the ball, I'll just say I cringe everytime I hear a coach say get on top of it. I personally think girls lose some of their aggressiveness when trying to hit the top of the ball. Just focus on her "driving" it with line drives being the desired result

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
LOL yeah she has been checked I thought about that also she's 20/20 as for the heavier bat I should of posted that she is usually way ahead of the ball.

Being way ahead is usually a timing issue, my DD has the same problem. She is a cage hitting phenom and gets in the game and gets to anxious to wait on the ball to get deep and ends up making contact out front. Work on some front toss drills where you challenger her to let the ball get as deep as possible in her stance before she swings. It also helps to try to get her to hit everything to right field (for a RHB).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What is her plan when she steps into the box? Is she trying to hit line drives? Long fly balls? Hard ground balls backside? Or is she just going up there to hit? What does she do in practice? Does she hit with a specific purpose or just hit? This seems to be the biggest change for hitter when they get to college. Most players in TB do not have any plan whatsoever when they step into the box. Maybe focus on hitting hard ground balls to get some immediate success and build from there.

Being way ahead is usually a timing issue, my DD has the same problem. She is a cage hitting phenom and gets in the game and gets to anxious to wait on the ball to get deep and ends up making contact out front. Work on some front toss drills where you challenger her to let the ball get as deep as possible in her stance before she swings. It also helps to try to get her to hit everything to right field (for a RHB).

That's a good Idea, we will try that. personally I think her plan is to crush the ball as she has gotten a taste of the over the fence ball a few times this yr. and I tell her just to try and make contact as she is strong enough to hit it over the infield pretty easy just making good contact.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30