need some advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
Hard to say but I notice when my DD starts hitting fly balls and pop ups it's usually because she's dropping her hands to the level of the ball and not attacking from above. Incidentally, she rarely if ever does it in BP, just shows up in games.

Oct 25, 2009
Being way ahead of the ball can, indeed, produce many pop ups and pop flies. Had a lefty who had near perfect form but could not let the ball get in to her hitting zone.

I noticed a big improvement after using an 18" bat after we practiced indoors during the pre-season. After a few games, though, she was right back to reaching for the ball. And didn't believe her improvement had anything to do with the short bat. Oh well.

What I would recommend for what you described is many, many repetitions of opposite field hitting. In fact, I would practice opposite field hitting exclusively until she doesn't reach or swing early anymore.

I've used this many times both individually and as a team. It's not players' favorite drill but it works!

Have her hit at least three buckets of balls per practice to opposite field. That's about 75 hits. Throw front toss to the outside of the hitting zone. I usually set a screen up about 20' from home plate. Place the screen towards the 3rd base line so that you can throw across the outside corner.

At first you will see many grounders to 2nd baseman, pop ups, and slices. Don't listen to the whining; keep pitching outside. She will adjust. One hint is to tell her that the bat should "feel" almost level. Have her experiment with the bat angles.

When she starts driving right field gappers (after two or three practices) don't be tempted to switch back to normal. You'll see the new power when facing actual pitching.

Accept nothing left of the 2nd base bag during opposite field practice. Even on inside pitches she must attempt to hit inside the ball to go to opposite field.

You can use a tee after front tossing a while but not to begin with. It's hard for a player or a coach, really, to believe the tee has to be where it has to be until they experience where the ball has to be to hit an outside pitch

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Post a video.

Chances are good that a video would reveal a hand path issue.

I hear the story in the OP frequently. Parent believes the swing is good because of prior success at a low level of ball. Suddenly they see better pitching and the truth is exposed . The swing never was good. Playing at a low level hid the truth.

For example ... a "bat drag' swing can be plenty powerful ... but the swing won't scale to the higher levels of the game. Suddenly what worked, no longer works.

The description here is of a swing with an improper hand path. Video would be revealing.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
You said she is 13 years old. How big of a girl is she? If she is an average size girl at 13, I would lean the other way and say a 23 ounce bat may be too heavy not too light. I would personally go with maybe a 32/21 or 32/20 and focus on swing speed, and driving the ball. Lot easier to drive the ball with higher bat speed. Low bat speed, and/or possibly a bat drag/lag type swing will produce pop ups.

Jul 2, 2015
There the usual reasons why a batter pops ups. Guessing is not going to help you. Please provide a video and let's get the correct issue addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If cage work timing is good and real pitching is the problem, my best guess would be for you to throw front toss wiffles and have her work on her timing either using the barry bonds drill or if your skilled enough change speeds while you pitch and have her work on her trigger . Seeing it outta your hand should do wonders for timing. Helps my DD a lot. Hope that helps.

never did get a video this past weekend but we faced some good pitching speed wise, and the kiddo hit good, so in saying that she still has timing issues with the slower pitchers which I believe shes reaching for the ball not waiting for it to get into the zone therefore dropping her shoulder just a tiny bit resulting in fly balls and pop ups. I will still try and get a video if I can kind of tuff being on 1st base coaching and trying to get one.:) gonna see if I can get one of the mothers to get it for me.

Oct 25, 2009
never did get a video this past weekend but we faced some good pitching speed wise, and the kiddo hit good, so in saying that she still has timing issues with the slower pitchers which I believe shes reaching for the ball not waiting for it to get into the zone therefore dropping her shoulder just a tiny bit resulting in fly balls and pop ups. I will still try and get a video if I can kind of tuff being on 1st base coaching and trying to get one.:) gonna see if I can get one of the mothers to get it for me.

Reaching for the ball can definitely cause pop ups and fly balls and weak grounders.

Knowing how effective several days of opposite field practice could be I would be disappointed to hear that you haven't gotten in those practices.

actually softballphreak, we have practiced opposite field hitting quite a bit at least 5 or six different times the last couple weeks but seriously I cant seem to break her of being ahead of the ball, she has definitely timing issues 75% of the time shes between ss and 3rd 20% of the time up the gut and only like 5% of the time right of 2nd. we've had her swing looked at by 2 different college coaches that specialize in hitting both has had the same response her swing is great, its all about her timing and she needs to keep working on her timing. and I should clarify that the percentages reflect line drives,flyballs, pop ups, etc her strike out percentage is only 8% which is a ton better than last years 25% but last year she lead the team doubles and triples and home runs, this year shes doing great for contact rate, but BA is struggling, although looking at the last 10 games against high comp tb clubs her BA is jumped her up a ton, shes just under .500 for the last 10 games but shes still very much ahead of the ball.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors