Need some 10U advice please...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2015
Our VP of softball has asked me to consider pitching machines for our 10U league as our 9/10 year olds really struggle throwing hittable pitches. Are any of you using pitching machines? What are some thoughts concerning this issue?

TIA.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ugh... really, really bad idea. Have some clinics, work with the pitchers outside regular practice, do a modified coach pitch count in games (i.e. coach comes in to pitch on 3-1 & 3-0 counts) if you have to.

If you have money for pitching machines, you have money to maybe pay someone to do some skills development.

I have been pushing our rec league to start 8U modified kid pitch - so you should be targeting going the other way - more kid pitch earlier - rather than later.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In 8U DD played in a league with a machine backup, 10U they were on their own. Some 10U games, a lot of games, were a real struggle and no fun.

Her club played different clubs so we had no control of their pitching. If it is your league, teach the players to pitch would be my first choice. If for some reason you cannot a machine would be better than walking every batter.

Apr 25, 2014
a lot of the 10U rec games will not be very fun, but if they dont learn they never will

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ugh... really, really bad idea. Have some clinics, work with the pitchers outside regular practice, do a modified coach pitch count in games (i.e. coach comes in to pitch on 3-1 & 3-0 counts) if you have to.

If you have money for pitching machines, you have money to maybe pay someone to do some skills development.

I have been pushing our rec league to start 8U modified kid pitch - so you should be targeting going the other way - more kid pitch earlier - rather than later.

Our ASA league (and I think most in CA) use a hybrid player/coach pitch in 8U until the end of March, and then go to all player pitch to get ready for the league tournament and all-stars. 10U is all player pitch. I see lots of 10U pitchers - and even 8Us - who not only throw strikes consistently, but also throw damn hard, hit spots, and can wreck you with a good change-up.

I agree STRONGLY that anything other than player pitch in 10U is a mistake. If the pitchers are struggling, don't slow their development by replacing them with a machine, increase their instruction. Kids that age are very capable of pitching very well, if given the ability to develop. Also, it's critical for both hitters and pitchers to develop together (IMO). 10U without players pitching breeds 12U pitchers who are getting shelled by kids who have been working on their hitting for multiple years.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have used my pitching machines for the past few years, after every pitching practice both of them hit about 100 balls each,three days a week. they don't work on mechanics during this time they just work on being loose and putting the bat on the ball, along with timing. doing this they really have developed fantastic bat head control and the ability to put a bat on anything. they have learned how not to swing for the fences and it translated to a 600 average over the season of exposure and A ball for both. If you are looking at working on mechanics then soft toss, Tee work better but being fluid and confident are really well developed by just feeding the machine ,Keeping you mouth shut and letting them develop the see ball hit ball mentality. From my experience batting is the most over coached discipline in softball.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I believe the OP was asking about using pitching machines in games.

Mar 28, 2013
Eric, Thanks allot, You are right, just another bit of evidence of fewer and fewer brain cells actually firing.:)

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
For my local league, 10u plays kid pitch until 4 balls, then coach will pitch. Coach pitch is unlimited. Once the batter puts the ball in play or batter strikes out, next batter is kid pitch again. New rule change this year will be that runners are allowed to steal while kids are pitching, one base per pitch, no stealing home.

Machines might be nice to get a little more speed then what the coaches throw, but I would HIGHLY recommend that the kids pitch most of the time. Moving from 10u to 12u is hard enough.

Mar 28, 2013
We played in a league that did this exactly this. It worked well .It was always funny how in an effort to give their own player a easily hittable ball the coaches pitched worse than the kids.:rolleyes:

For my local league, 10u plays kid pitch until 4 balls, then coach will pitch. Coach pitch is unlimited. Once the batter puts the ball in play or batter strikes out, next batter is kid pitch again. New rule change this year will be that runners are allowed to steal while kids are pitching, one base per pitch, no stealing home.

Machines might be nice to get a little more speed then what the coaches throw, but I would HIGHLY recommend that the kids pitch most of the time. Moving from 10u to 12u is hard enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom