Need help picking a bat for my 8yr!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
Was looking at the Worth Mayhem. Its around 65$ I'm not spending more than that on an 8yr old. Is this bat the best for the money? Thanks!:)

Feb 12, 2011
I would not spend $65 on a bat for an 8yr old, but thats just me. The bat will play very little part in your daughters success at this age. Go to wal-mart and find a "pretty" bat that is not to heavy for $15-$20 and call it a day.

Good luck!

Mar 3, 2011
GA
I would not spend $65 on a bat for an 8yr old, but thats just me. The bat will play very little part in your daughters success at this age. Go to wal-mart and find a "pretty" bat that is not to heavy for $15-$20 and call it a day.

Good luck!

This what I'm thinking too. She is small for her age and is just growing into the youth bats instead of T-ball bats. The reason I asked about the mayhem was, it is the smallest 27/15 bat at our local sporting goods store. They have cheaper bats, but she can't swing them yet.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
This what I'm thinking too. She is small for her age and is just growing into the youth bats instead of T-ball bats. The reason I asked about the mayhem was, it is the smallest 27/15 bat at our local sporting goods store. They have cheaper bats, but she can't swing them yet.

If you're looking at $60 bats, look at the Easton Mystique. Easton Mystique: SX66B Fastpitch It's balanced very well, and is real easy to swing. The smallest model they make, however, is 28/16.5.

Sep 3, 2009
IMO... the best bat for an 8u player, is the cheapest one you can find. Then with the money you saved, invest in some hitting lessons. If you can develop her swing now, it will pay off better than any bat ever could.
If you go the lesson route, do lots of research. No need to develop bad habits from a bad coach.

Apr 1, 2010
The Mayhem sounds ok. It is a composite and I assume your daughter won't have a metal back up bat; are your temperatures going to be 60 degrees and over?

Since your daughter has already swung one and liked it, if you're planning to get one, I'd try eBay. There's one on an auction ending in two days that's currently going for 99 cents and another with a buy it now price of $40. They're both from the same reputable seller (I have bought from them several times with no problems) and have a shipping charge of $11.

There are a lot of metal bats out there too in the 27" length with drops in the 11.5, 12, 12.5 and 13 range. I saw a 27/15.5 Finch Mizuno for $35 with $7 shipping--I've seen a lot of little girls swing that bat well.

You shouldn't have to pay a fortune to get a decent bat for an 8-yr old.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
When my DD was 8, we went to walmart and got a
purple bat with pink lettering for $15. Replaced it with
a decent bat ($75) when she was in her 2nd year of 10U.
Spent $150 in 12U she grew like crazy into a Stealth
the following year and now just bought her a CF4.
She has hit well with all the bats

May 25, 2010
When my DD was 8, we went to walmart and got a
purple bat with pink lettering for $15. Replaced it with
a decent bat ($75) when she was in her 2nd year of 10U.
Spent $150 in 12U she grew like crazy into a Stealth
the following year and now just bought her a CF4.
She has hit well with all the bats

^^This.

Don't get caught up in the arms race when the kids are only 8.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is a Synergy that is a Walmart bat. I sold it to a 10 YO LLer. And someone stole it! I guess they thought she had a $300 bat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck